EWB
GRAPHICS CARD UPGRADE FOR MACPRO 2008
July 08, 2013 09:01PM
Hi, the installed graphics card is finally rested itself in peace. Curious as to you thoughts on a good, $200-400 Nvidia graphics card compatible with a MacPro 2008 with Mountain Lion that I use for Motion 5 and Final Cut 7 and X. Thank you!!
Re: GRAPHICS CARD UPGRADE FOR MACPRO 2008
July 12, 2013 01:13AM
My early 2008 MBP's graphic card and attached mother board went a few months ago.
I contacted Apple and discovered that Apple had a free replacement policy that ran for four years, ending
Dec 31, 2012 since those cards were apparently faulty. Apple said that even though the date for free replacement
had expired, if I brought the machine to an approved Certified Apple Repair Center, and received a diagnosis
that the card was the problem, they would make an exception and replace the card at their cost. I did as they suggested, and indeed they replaced the card at their cost six-months past the posted deadline. So before you go ahead and pay $300-400 for a new used board I'd check with Apple technical support. I found them surprisingly helpful and flexible. And realized why I own 3 Macs.
Re: GRAPHICS CARD UPGRADE FOR MACPRO 2008
July 25, 2013 10:20AM
ATI 6870 (90% sure)
ATI 5870
ATI 5770

The Nvidia's mostly need a hack to work on OSX. The evga versions of nvidia cards do work on macs but there are no choices for new construction. The GTX285s out there are ALL USED & REFURBISHED.

Plus in my experience ATI is better for a wider variety of mac based software. Nvidia really only comes into play with Adobe and maybe Divinci.

By the way what is your system identifier? This is important BIG TIME.

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics