Cutting a narrative scene that is multicamed

Posted by rpearlster 
Cutting a narrative scene that is multicamed
August 19, 2013 02:28PM
HI,

I'm cutting a feature and we are using from 2 to 7 cameras on some scenes. My assistant editor is syncing and multiclipping all the scenes with more than one camera, including dramatic dialogue scenes. In most of the A and B angles, the shot does not stay the same for the entire take but roves around from FS to CU and from Character to Character. In addition, on some shots they change the angles for some of the takes without changing the shot #.

So.......

I've cut with the multicam function on music videos but never a dramatic narrative scene - I usually treat each angle as a separate take.

I would love to hear from folks with more experience what strategy people use to log and cut this kind of material when it's delivered as synced multicam.

Thanks!
Rachel
Re: Cutting a narrative scene that is multicamed
August 20, 2013 04:05PM
Hi, Rachel.

I've had a few experiences cutting drama that has been shot with more than one camera,
But not seven!

Editing with multiple cameras is still all about finding the perfect moments, not just switching from one angle to another,
So like you I tend to treat the process the same as if I were cutting single cam footage.
I do have multiclips made up, and i edit with them, I just don't use them for "switching".

Nick
Re: Cutting a narrative scene that is multicamed
August 21, 2013 12:47AM
this link just came through in the lacpug newsletter:

Anatomy of editing a two camera scene
[digitalfilms.wordpress.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics