best workflow with different stuff in multicam

Posted by wet_cinema 
best workflow with different stuff in multicam
November 26, 2013 08:21PM
Hi people!

First of all, I would like to know if the multicam tool is avaiable in FCP X? If not, no problem, I can edit in FCP7 also.

Second point: I have 3 video stuff from 3 different cameras:
CAM 01 Format: 1440 x 1080, FPS: 29,97 (Sony HVR-V1E 1080p30) – full stuff, no cuts.
CAM 02 Format: H.264, 1920 x 1080, Millions PCM linear, 16 bit little-endian all firmed, 2 channels, 48000 Hz FPS: 29,97 (with a lot of cuts) - EOS 5D
CAM 03 Format: H.264, 1920 x 1080, Millions PCM linear, 16 bit little-endian all firmed, 2 channels, 48000 Hz FPS: 23,98 (with a lot of cuts) - EOS 7D

as you can see, each cam has a different film clip.

WHAT WOULD BE THE BEST WORKFLOW to edit all this stuff in MULTICAM?
First of all, I think to pass through Plural Eyes - after that I will have the full strip of CAM 1 working as base. (V1)
And a lot of little clips from CAM 2 and CAM3 in V2 and V3 timeline

Problem is: can I edit all three cams, despite the different video tipes? H.264 x NTSC and 29,97 x 23,98? Or would it be better first of all normatize all material as only one video format? What should be the best format? I can work with HD material as well. My mac has good hardware to accept this.

And after this? After all clips are synced? What is next step? Just turn on multicam despite all gaps between clips? Or should I first export each video strip with black strip between the scenes?

Well, as you see, I worked before with multicam, but it was SD material, two cams, full filmed, without cuts, both material absolutely the same, same cameral modell, very easy. Now, with all these differences, I am a little bit worried about this, I will not make mistakes. Thank you.
Re: best workflow with different stuff in multicam
November 27, 2013 03:00AM
im no expert.. i've never used X.

but i understand it IS very good for multi cam.
it can deal with lots of on-offs in camera footage. it includes them all in the one angle in the multiclip

it can use TC OR audio to sync, so you don't need pluraleyes.

i've got a feeling that the different frame rates might be more than it can deal with, but as i say, i'm no export.

nick
December 02, 2013 10:15AM
Nick, thanks for your answer. Meanwhile I saw some videos in youtube and, yes, you're right - no more PluralEyes for FCP-X. That's good! But the problem with several types of media is still a doubt for my workflow. I think, I will make some tests, but now, I have flv together to edit. So, it's flv, mov, h264, mpeg, all these formats to edit in one timeline - man, this will be a nightmare.
tks again.

- Walter Tabax (g4- 1.42GDual/ 2MBRAM - FCP 4.5)
- Sao Paulo / SP - BRASIL
December 02, 2013 05:29PM
i'd definitely convert to ProRes.

nick
December 03, 2013 10:18AM
Absolutely; the app provides for easy transcoding upon ingest; get everything into one editing language.

- Loren

Today's FCP 7 keytip:
To reposition a Marker press Command and drag it!

Your Final Cut Studio KeyGuide™ Power Pack
with FCP7 KeyGuide --
now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
December 03, 2013 07:22PM
frame rates will be the biggest issue.
im not sure how X deals with that

n
December 04, 2013 06:58PM
X's multicam functioning is just fine but Plural Eyes works well too.

steve-sharksdelight
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics