FCP7 - FCPX

Posted by Loren Miller 
FCP7 - FCPX
January 13, 2014 09:38AM
Larry Jordan's most recent email newsletter included a report of the following-

"On a video I added about 8 transitions at the same time. It caused [FCP X] to crash, then crash again every time I reopened it."

So sad that Apple needlessly forced a reinvention of the wheel. One of the last things the FCP team perfected within FCP7 was rock solid multiple transitions; I apply them within In-Out marks to this day, they are sweet!

In fact I included the feature at the end of this semi-nostalgic Focal Press tutorial for those who still haven't tried them. Lower the volume for their kind of loud open.

(Focal no longer sells the FCP7 KeyGuide; it's available here at the Store.)

- Loren

Today's FCP 7 keytips:
Copy clip Attributes with Command-C
Paste selected Attributes with Option-V
Remove selected Attributes with Command-Option-V !

Your Final Cut Studio KeyGuide™ Power Pack.
Now available at the LAFCPUG Store!
Re: FCP7 - FCPX
January 13, 2014 05:02PM
The FCP7 crucifixion (no matter which way one rationals FCPX it's still a tragedy) stings me still. My entire editing life as of FCP3, major projects and professional experience all FCP 5, 6, 7 . Finding the time whilst working to be as slick/proficient in one or more alternate programs I find daunting.

Alas change is the only constant . .
January 15, 2014 09:31PM
Loren Miller
Larry Jordan's most recent email newsletter included a report of the following-
"On a video I added about 8 transitions at the same time. It caused [FCP X] to crash, then crash again every time I reopened it."

Larry Jordan's most recent email newsletter
Luke Fuda sent me this short trouble-shooting report.
I found a fast, easy way to fix an FCP X project if it keeps crashing. On a video I added about 8 transitions at the same time. It caused the program to crash, then crash again every time I reopened it. What I did was delete the event library so the project came up as "Missing Event." I then created a new event that contained the media from the deleted event. Next, I opened the project and deleted all the transitions and re-linked the files in a new event library and everything was back working.

Sounds like an editor so happy to be "back working" that he can forget about wanting 8 transitions at the same time. What the editing machinery can do at a time partly determines the moving picture art of the time. At the end of Kenneth Anger's film "Eaux d'Artifice" there are about 4 simultaneous transitions that blew viewers' minds (including mine). Anger wanted it and worked hard to get it. If the typical FCP X user is as industrious as Luke Fuda, that NLE will be successful.

Shortcut keys are not a measure of an NLE's artistic viability.

Dennis Couzin
Berlin, Germany
January 17, 2014 02:10AM
Dennis-
[Sounds like an editor so happy to be "back working" that he can forget about wanting 8 transitions at the same time.]

No-no, not at the same time, but to APPLY them to a range of cuts at the same time; that's huge.

I'm just limiting my post to the FCPX behavior, which should have been flagged in beta; I'm not reporting Luke's byzantine fix. You'll forgive me if I don't celebrate that as a fix to a needed feature, one available in Avid for years, and I believe in Premiere Pro.

- Loren

Today's FCP 7 keytips:
Copy clip Attributes with Command-C
Paste selected Attributes with Option-V
Remove selected Attributes with Command-Option-V !

Your Final Cut Studio KeyGuide™ Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
January 17, 2014 06:01PM
Loren, thanks for correcting my weird misreading of "added about 8 transitions at the same time".

Dennis Couzin
Berlin, Germany
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics