Can Amazon enforce its patent ??

Posted by J.Corbett 
Can Amazon enforce its patent ??
May 27, 2014 01:22PM
the news is a few weeks old but ….

[bgr.com]

I do not intend on paying Amazon a single dime and I'm not going to stop filming on white. This is way past ridiculous. Can anyone come up with a harsher way of saying stupid?

Look at the diagram its an quickly/novice setup also.

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
O.T.: Re: Can Amazon enforce its patent ??
May 28, 2014 06:41AM
USP 8676045
Claim 25. A method, comprising:
  • positioning a subject on an elevated platform in a studio arrangement, the studio arrangement comprising a plurality of rear light sources positioned behind the elevated platform and aimed at a background behind the elevated platform, the background comprising a cyclorama;
  • activating the plurality of rear light sources, the plurality of rear light sources comprising a plurality of light sources being substantially evenly distributed over the back ground;
  • activating a front light source aimed at the subject, wherein an image capture position is positioned between the front light source and the elevated platform;
  • initiating image capture in an image capture device positioned at the image capture position;
  • shielding the subject from light directly emanating from the plurality of rear light sources onto the subject; and wherein
  • a top surface of the elevated platform refects light emanating from the background such that the elevated platform appears a substantially similar color as the background and a rear edge of the elevated platform is substantially imperceptible to the image capture device.

Golly, didn't I do that the other day when I photographed a lens to sell on eBay?

Maybe Amazon filed the patent as a joke to expose the extreme incompetence of the USPTO. USPTO examiners live in a world of patents. Searching those they found no "prior art" because, of course, no one had ever dared to patent such an obvious photographic technique. It'd require checking out old textbooks on commercial (product) photography to find published disclosures of the method.

Could Amazon intend to enforce the patent? The USPTO issues myriad bad patents and pawns off the mess to the courts for ajudication. There, the patent disputes are decided by juries of non-experts. Accordingly, the attorneys for patent trials are showmen who also don't understand the "inventions". Amazon can therefore enforce this patent against small fry infringers. But it would gain little but popular resentment from this. A large infringer, on the other hand, could decisively invalidate the patent in court.

The patent is very simple, a day's work, and is probably a joke. I filed one US patent as a joke, and can attest that it's great fun.

Dennis Couzin
Berlin, Germany
Re: Can Amazon enforce its patent ??
June 03, 2014 09:06AM
Yeah. I think I am gonna file a patent on using a cam stabilizer to create a floating motion to film someone walking. Then maybe one for using jkl to scrub thru footage instead of dragging the the tl cursor.

Then I am taking universal and Spike Lee to court. Lol

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics