PAL to NTSC

Posted by apostolos 
PAL to NTSC
July 17, 2001 11:59AM
<HTML>I have a Canon GL1 and a Canon XM1 (not XL1, XM1 you read it correctly) which is the PAL version of the GL1. I'd like to use shoot an even with two cameras, using the XM1, which is the PAL version, as the second camera. Anyone has any experience with transferring PAL to NTSC? Can it be done in FCP 2.0 or do I need other software, like Media Cleaner? The frame rates and the resolution are different. But going from PAL to NTSC I'm going from higher to lower resolution. I don't know of course if the frame rate is going to matter in terms of audio syncing etc, going from 25fps of PAL to 29.97 of NTSC. Any thoughts?</HTML>
Re: PAL to NTSC
July 18, 2001 12:38AM
<HTML>You can do it but render time will be horrendous. Just capture in native PAL. Do your edit and out put to NTSC. Render time as I said will take forever and quality results might not be to your liking. Best to do this in After Effects.

mike</HTML>
Re: PAL to NTSC
August 05, 2001 09:15PM
<HTML>I don't remember where I copied the following text from nor do I know the author. For what it's worth, here it is:

"You would probably not want to use FCP for standards conversion as it looks like hell. However you do the process, you have to realize that when you are going from PAL to NTSC, you are asking the conversion device to turn 25 fps to 29.976 fps so the device must invent those frames using field doubling and interpolation. With such a difficult job, you can imagine what cheap standards conversion devices do in this process. The bottom line is that without a quality conversion unit, the conversion will look like crap, negating any benefit of shooting in PAL to gain film-like qualities."</HTML>
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics