FCP ver 5 "Log and Capture" Old School problem

Posted by Larry M 
FCP ver 5 "Log and Capture" Old School problem
November 19, 2014 08:08PM
Greetings folks....I've been out of the game for 5 years and had to drag my old MAC out of storage to finish a project done on FCP 5. An old nemesis reared it's head again. After successfully logging and capturing several clips from DV tape ( using a Sony DSR-11 deck ) suddenly my capture viewer screen is laced with horizontal gray bands about every 1/2 inch on the vertical. I've saved and shut down FCP and my MAC, after the reboot the problem is still there. The Capture settings for "Device Control" are Firewire NTSC, and "Capture/Input" are DV NTSC 48. I have dealt with this before but it's been years and I do not remember how I fixed it. Any old editors out there with answer? Thank you!

2002 G-4 Dual 1 GHz Power PC
2 GB DDR SDRAM
ATI Radeon 9000 Pro graphics card
Re: FCP ver 5 "Log and Capture" Old School problem
November 19, 2014 09:15PM
Have you tried cleaning the heads?

God Bless,

Douglas Villalba
director/cinematographer/editor
Miami, Florida

[www.DouglasVillalba.info]
[www.youtube.com]
[vimeo.com]
November 20, 2014 11:11AM
Hi Douglas, I thought of that AFTER I shut everything down and went to bed for the night! I do own a couple of head cleaning tapes for my DSR-11, now I just have to find them! Thanks for your input
November 20, 2014 06:31PM
Also, if the tapes are old, they are probably starting to shed oxide, so keep cleaning as you go.

November 21, 2014 07:42PM
Thanks Jude, good tip. The tapes are between 7 and 12 years old. I'm certain that dirty heads were what was causing the trouble. I will be glad when I no longer have to capture tape!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics