5.1 Aiff file for DVD StudioPro?

Posted by Richard Carrick 
<HTML>Does anyone know how to make a 5.1 Surround sound audio AIFF file? (Instead of the standard 5.1 AC3 file used by DVD StudioPro).

DVD StudioPro only explains how to make a 5.1 surroundsound file using APack compression, creating an AC3 file, but doesn't tell us how to keep it as an AIFF (uncompressed) file.

I am having problems with the compression on AC3 files, it is distorting some louder parts of the track. However, the AIFF versions of the same tracks are absolutely fine.

If anyone knows if this is possible, or even how to do this, I would really appreciate the help,
Thanks!
Rick</HTML>
<HTML>Rick -

Sorry to share bad news...

It's very difficult to make 5.1 AIFF files for DVD Studio Pro, primarily because they are
not generally used... the combined bandwidth of 6 uncompressed AIFF channels
is around 4.5 Mbps, which effectively shoots your video bandwidth in the foot.

What I would recommend instead would be the following -
- Compress your AC3 5.1 files again, but set the prefs to the following:
- Encode Mode 3/2 (as you already know)
- Encode Rate 384 Kbps
- Set Dialog Norm to -27 if it isn't already... You might also try -25 as an alternative
The closer this number gets to -1, the quieter your track will sound...
- In the "Procesing" Tab, Turn the COMPRESSION SETTING to Off,
but you might try Music Light or Music Heavy to see if one of them reduces or eliminates the distortion.

If you have any way to re-output the original files, you might try to
create the original AIFFs again with some Level Attenuation.

hope this helps you out -

Bruce Nazarian - the DVD Guy
Visit my DVD site; [www.recipe4dvd.com]
Creators of "The DVD Companion"</HTML>
<HTML>Hi Bruce,

Thanks very much! That's what I was afraid of, oh well. I tried your technique, it did help a bit, but I found the real problem was not the compression, but rather the fact that I was testing out the 5.1 audio on computers that only have stereo sound, so the 6 audio tracks were overloading the system at particular points. This explains why the 5.1 worked fine on the home DVD players with 5.1 setup.

Its still to bad we can't easily make 5.1 Aiff, the AC3 compression just doesn't sound nearly as crisp.

best,
Rick</HTML>
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics