Urgent my G4 froze up!!

Posted by Tlovett 
Urgent my G4 froze up!!
August 14, 2001 04:20PM
<HTML>I was editing in FCP2 inserting crossfades into my timeline, suddenly the screen froze and i could not access anything with the mouse. I finally restarted my computer, thinking i had maxxed out my RAM. After restarting I shut down some programs on the desktop and tried to access my project again. FCP came up just fine but it would not let me access my project. It said that the project was 'unknown', it gave an Apple 'general error'. I shut the computer down completely and restarted it. This time my Maxter 80GB external disappeared from the desktop. Now I cannot get access to my external, nor my project. My deadline is Friday, PLEASE someone help!!!</HTML>
<HTML>YOu are going to have to use a disk utility such as Nortons or Tech Tool or Disk Warrior and boot up with it and (hopefully) it will find your HD and repair it. Sometimes letting your Mac sit for awhile will do the trick but you have a problem with your HD and you HAVE to fix it.

good luck

mike</HTML>
Re: Urgent my G4 froze up!!
August 14, 2001 08:01PM
<HTML>Thanks for the advice.</HTML>
August 14, 2001 08:03PM
<HTML>I have this same hard drive. Try a hard reset of your hard drive. disconect the powercord from the back of the drive and let it sit for 30 seconds then reconect. This will clear it out. I don't know but for some reason this seems to work. Due this while everything is off. Then restart your computer. I hope this will help.

Ruben</HTML>
August 16, 2001 11:10PM
<HTML>In regads to your audio problem I think you should try www.kenstone.net! Sound is something you kind to have to fool around with by yourself. Try adding filters ontop of filters. I know you want to take the air conditioning out so first try the low pass filter then work form there.

Ruben</HTML>
August 21, 2001 08:49PM
<HTML>Finally,

I got my external back. turns out that i did not format the drive for usage on a mac, not knowing i needed to because the mac immediately loaded the external on my desktop, and I, a beginner, thought that, that was all i needed to do. just plug and go, like the advertisements say right? it worked for awhile too. consequently, the "structures" that loaded my hardrive onto the desktop corrupted.
Also Maxtor utilities version 3.1 does not work well with mac OS 9.1. I had to download version 3.2 to get access to my external before i could reformat it for mac usage. I lost all my data (only 4gigs) but I got my hardrive back.
Turns out that Disk Warrior DOES NOT SUPPORT FIREWIRE HARDDRIVES, unless you slave it to your internal. So although I bought, Disk Warrior it did not help me either. Maybe, because my external is on my desktop, it can help me now, but not with loading it.

Thanks for all the help everyone,
Terrence</HTML>
<HTML>Disk Warrior not supporting FW drives? Didn't know that. Good post. Thanks

mike</HTML>
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics