Possible Update Problems 10.3.3 to 10.3.8

Posted by Mike D 
I gotta question...do you think it's safe if I update my OS? I am currently running 10.3.3 right now. If I update it to 10.3.8 will that screw anything up? The update is a huge 102 megs.
I just got iWork with the newer version of Keynote and it will only run on 10.3.6 and higher so it won't even install on my system with 10.3.3

My main concern is my FCP. Are there any known problems with 10.3.8 and FCP 4.1.1? I am only still running 4.1.1 because I am still in the middle of projects and don't want to risk any problems with and update to 4.5HD.

Thanks,
Mike D
Re: Possible Update Problems 10.3.3 to 10.3.8
March 07, 2005 02:18PM
Use the combo updater and repair permissions before and after updating. Also run a disk check before you update. Do all that and all should be fine

mike
i would NEVER update your OS OR FCP in the MIDDLE of a project - very slippery slope...

but that situation aside. whenever ive done a major update of any version of OSX i make a habit of doing an "erase and install" of the boot drive with my previous OS then do the online update to the new version, THEN i reinstall all my apps. it may take half a day to get it all back, but it keeps things neet and tidy and to date ive NEVER had ANY problems
Thank you for the advice smiling smiley

Mike D
I've heard 10.3.8 is buggy on several fronts. I took the plunge to 10.3.7 recently, fully 4 months after its release. Did the Combo Updater as mentioned, disconnected all FreWire drives, massaged my disk permissions, cloned the existing System volume with the fabulous Carbon Copy Cloner, routing the copy to an external LaCie, confirmed that I could actulaly boot from the external, then applied the Combo Updater to the orignal system drive, and you know what?

It all took about an hour, and it went like butter. The desktop comes up 4 times faster. Everything works as it did. Even Fruitmenu and ASM and DragThing. The newest QuicKeys X3 works too, although while open, it wipes out FruitMenu.

I encounter one oddity on occasion: upon boot, the 20" flat comes up vibrating and fuzzy. I switch resolutions to another size and then immediately back, and it's gone, sharp as ever.

So I recommend 10.3.7. That'll let you use your iPod Shuffle too.

- Loren
Today's FCP HD 4.5 keytip:
Do a virtual Audio Mixdown to lighten playback load with Command-Option-R!

The FCP HD KeyGuide?: your power placemat.
Now available at KeyGuide Central
www.neotrondesign.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics