Sony HDV timecode issues

Posted by Marcus 
Marcus
Sony HDV timecode issues
March 24, 2005 12:44AM
Hey Guys,
FCP 4.5HD | Dual 1.42 G4 | 1Gb RAM | OSX 10.3.8.. | PAL world
I've been using the new Sony HDV format for a number of weeks now, and every time without fail, I encounter timecode problems. At least 4 times per tape it hits a 'timecode break' where FCP stops and tries to make a new clip. However the timecode seems to be problematic to read at those points, which inevitably sends FCP into a never-ending loop where it simply cannot find the timecode break. i end up stopping the captuer and trying to manually figure out where the break occurred and then making a series of new clips that will hopefully avoid the time code break on tape... The difference between this and any other tape format seems to be that if FCP encounters a timecode break on say 'normal' DV, it finds and deals with that timecode break relatively quickly and painlessly. The other thing i find with HDV is that the shuttling up and down is also much more of a 'hit & miss' affair. the code seems to less 'robust'. It's either playing or shuttling at 2X speed or hairing off at a rapid rate which seems difficult to control. WOW, that was quite a mouthful! Any thoughts you've had or experience you can share would be appreciated...

Marcus
Re: Sony HDV timecode issues
March 24, 2005 06:54AM
What software are you using to get from HDV to an editable format? I imagine that would play a big part in this.

Ian
March 24, 2005 05:38PM
If you are using HDVxDV then you need to contact the author

Mike
Marcus
March 25, 2005 02:45AM
No software, I capture directly into FCP using DVPAL...
March 25, 2005 04:42AM
That wont work. FCP doesnt support HDV

Got to use HDVxDV or go through iMovie or Final Cut Express
Marcus
March 25, 2005 08:44AM
I'm not sure what you mean 'won't work'... I have captured HDV to DVPAL successfully a number of times APART, of course from the timecode issues I mentioned. The SONY HDV camera has the ability to downconvert to DV, are you not aware of that feature? The problem comes in with these timecode 'breaks' that FCP doesn't seem to be able to resolve...

Any thoughts guys? Has anyone out there actually worked with HDV & FCP?

Marcus
We have done the same thing as you with no T/C break problems at all
March 25, 2005 12:38PM
I'm aware of that feature. It's that I didn't read you stating it. The HDV cam is brand new and I suspect somewhat incompatible with FCP, but since you are capturing DV it should work same as any other DV Cam. So assuming you DO have timecode breaks and FCP is chocking on them, try capturing around them.

Mike
Marcus
March 26, 2005 04:21AM
Thanks, Steve, that helps me narrow the problem down somewhat.
Mike, it's rather obvious to me that I should be 'working around' the timecode breaks, however the problem is that these 'breaks' are not visible when merely watching the footage, but FCP seems to 'find' a break and then cannot get past it... I do have several years experience in non-linear editing and know many 'tricks of the trade', but this one is completely new to me... I have heard that the SONY HDV cameras employ 2 different kinds of timecode?? Any thoughts on that?

(I need to get answers from people who have first hand experience with HDV, as it is different to standard DV)

Thank you..
The only success stories I've heard of in the NTSC world come from those who get HDV OUT of the camera via component analog dub to something like DVCPro50 or 100, or transcoded into SDI signal with something like an AJA box, and into FCP uncompressed using hardware like Kona 2. Timecode is of course newly invented for each master thus transferred.

This is still very new workflow.

What kind of playback device are you using? The camera or Sony's new HDV deck? You might have much better luck with the deck.

- Loren
Today's FCP HD 4.5 keytip:
Do a virtual Audio Mixdown to lighten playback load with Command-Option-R!

The FCP HD KeyGuide?: your power placemat.
Now available at KeyGuide Central
www.neotrondesign.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics