Director tips

Posted by Anton 
Anton
Director tips
March 29, 2005 04:18PM
Hi, I am about to work on a series as a director / cameraman, now although I have some experience directing and editing I know I have much to learn.
So that I do not make things any more difficult for the editor than they need to be, I thought I may ask this board for some advice as editors often have an excellent understanding of directing principals .

I am hoping someone may be able to point me to any good resources either in print or on the web or any personal tips or tricks.

Thanks to anyone and everyone who can offer any insight.
Thanks
A
Re: Director tips
March 29, 2005 05:23PM
Hire a GOOD script supervisor and rely on her/him heavily. Then you can concentrate on what you do best, direct/shoot.

mike
March 29, 2005 05:50PM
My personal pet peeve is when the director says cut to early. Specifically, when the camera sharply drops at the "cut" moment, or when the actor suddenly snaps out of character at that instant. Sometimes it's beneficial to have a little 'cushioning' at the end of a scene (and at the start) in case you want to hold on the actors face a little longer etc., or you need extra room for a fade. As I always say, it's better to have something and not need it than to need it and not have it. I like it when the Director waits for a beat or two after the dialogue ends...
March 29, 2005 07:42PM
Storyboard and plan every shot before you get on set/location. Know exactly what you want. Also, be open to gathering coverage - different angles of the same scene to give options in post and minimize reshoots. Relax and stay in control. It's only entertainment. Have some fun out there. And dido on the cutting to early. Might want to tell your cinematographer/camera op. to cut 1 or 2 seconds after you yell cut. (Maybe even 5 seconds if your not shooting on expensive film). Get clean slates so the editor can easily sync and label dailies. If you have the time, the best thing to do is read: "Directing - Film techniques and aesthetics" by Michael Rabiger. It will tell you everything you need to know about directing, gives solutions to every problem that could come up on set, how to control your actors, etc. The best book on directing in my opinion. It's one of the few books I held onto and still read after college. ISBN: 0-240-80517-8

Best of luck
Tyler
jtmedia.com
March 31, 2005 10:49AM
Casting is everything
Bad scripts generally make bad films
DOP and director? Get an operator
Script Supervisor=yes
Scout your location ahead of time
Get an AD

google search books on film directing

hope this helps
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics