Importing Photoshop Stills

Posted by Rachel 
Importing Photoshop Stills
May 06, 2005 03:01PM
Need help. I am editing a small project on FCP 4 that uses only still images that cross disolve into each other. I shot the images with a Nikon D1X and resized the final images (I turned them to black and white as well... yes they are still RGB) to 720x480 at 150dpi. I imported them into FCP and layed them out with transitions, but when I enlarge my capture window to show my client a larger version of the project, the images loose their quality. Then when I exported the project to play it on Quicktime in hopes of my client getting a better quality version, the quality was worse. Why am I loosing the sharpness of the images from Photoshop to FCP? I am sure I am missing out some crucial information that might be helpful in someone decifering the problem, but any info at this point will help. I am new at FCP... I used to edit on an AVID.
Thanks
kevin
Re: Importing Photoshop Stills
May 06, 2005 03:23PM
You need to be looking at them on an external NTSC monitor, not your computer monitor. So... your client needs to view them on the same, not the canvas window. Common set-up is firewire out> to dv deck or camera> to monitor.

Good luck!

Kevin
May 06, 2005 03:28PM
Thank you so much for the input, but since I am still new with this... let me clarify for myself. If I export this project to a DVD and play it on a Regular TV or in a projection unit capable of playing from a DVD player, the images will appear as they should? Is there any other setting I need to know about to export it to this format? I will be using DVD Studio Pro for that.
kevin
May 06, 2005 03:45PM
"let me clarify for myself. If I export this project to a DVD and play it on a Regular TV or in a projection unit capable of playing from a DVD player, the images will appear as they should?"

That is correct. I'm not the expert on Studio Pro, but you can export it as a self contained movie and drop it into Studio Pro and it will be fine. For client viewing and approval many on the forum use iDVD before tackling the project in Studio Pro and setting up chapter markers etc.

Again, if you check out the set up in the manual you really need to have a monitor to properly view and color correct your projects, especially before burning a DVD because you won't know what you really have.

good luck!

kevin
May 06, 2005 03:47PM
THANK YOU!!!!
May 06, 2005 05:31PM
rather than burning a DVD, just to see you images on an NTSC monitor, or even just a TV,
hook the TV up to your FCP system.

Computer > DV Camera via FW
Camera > TV via the suplied cables

this is described in the FCP manual.
Greg Kozikowski
May 06, 2005 05:55PM

<<<even just a TV>>>

Yes. That will tell you a lot of stuff, but you need to be careful with a TV. A lot of TVs intentionally distort the colors to make people look really good at the expense of everything else. Trying to color balance on one of these TVs is a nightmare.

Some TVs have bad regulation. In English, that means the picture changes size slightly with brightness. It makes TVs really cheap to do that and most people don't notice it (you will now that I pointed it out to you).

And there are other shortcomings as well--and most importantly, the shortcomings change with the TV maker.

Real monitors just sit there well behaved and match each other (normally).

Koz
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics