FCP5 Newbie seeking advice.

Posted by Chris 
FCP5 Newbie seeking advice.
May 07, 2005 09:50AM
First let me introduce myself, I am Chris a non-professional, self taught video editor wannabe.

I have just purchased (due to a very generous donation), and I am awaiting delivery of, the FCP 5 Suite (UK based). I mainly do video work on a voluntary basis for my local church and would like some advice on how to get the best from my setup.

I currently have a Dual 2.0Ghz G5, with two 20" ACD's driven by an ATI 9800 Graphics Card. 2 Gb Ram.

Most of the work I am doing is composites of video and still images linked to words and text to supplement or accompany music items delivered by praise groups. I mostly output direct to DVD and therefore operate a digital only workflow. DV for video work and Adobe PS for image work.

I have over the last couple of years purchased various books on using FCP/DVD Studio Pro etc. Like The Visual Quickpro Guides, and The Apple Pro Training Series. These books deal adequately with the mechanics of the editing process, but give little information on the process of 'designing' a complete video/DVD piece.

For example if you are adding still graphics and video material to an existing music soundtrack. How would you go about working on the project? Would you work on the soundtrack first, correcting the pops and noise first? Would you then do all the Video stuff, and then the graphics? How would you plan it? Do you just go with the flow? how do you ensure graphic shifts in time with music changes etc. etc.

I would be very interested in people's comments/info regarding how you 'go about' doing what you do, as well as any comments on my setup with regards to its suitability to what I am doing.

I guess I'm just looking for some inspiration!

Thanks

Chris
Re: FCP5 Newbie seeking advice.
May 07, 2005 11:07AM
"go with the flow?"
Did you ever tune a crystal radio set? One parameter changes the settings for all others. So it is with any creative media project.

Eventually you need to parallel track the development of multiple elements. As real world interacts with your initial battle plan, all other development needs to be informed by everything else.

I look to a number of graphic art and advertising sources which tend to lead the pack in effects and looks. I adapt what looks interesting to my own tastes.

"how do you ensure graphic shifts in time with music changes"
Cut to the right rhythm. Don't get too hung up on cutting on the bar, or on the beat. It gets boring very quickly if your cuts are metronome like.

To sync to particular music hits you can always turn on audio wave form display in the timeline.

As to look: The best editing is invisible. What people see feels right, and they never notice how they get from one place in the show to another. Removing their ego is the toughest lesson for many students. Other than that - PLAY. If you experience joy doing this, the audience will feel it. If it is pain - they will feel that too.

Ian
May 07, 2005 12:16PM
Graham,

Thanks for the feedback... do you have any sources you visit for info? Ideas? Tutorials... besides the great collection here that is :-)

c.
May 07, 2005 07:18PM
work how you feel, realy.
try a few aproaches untill something works best.

if audio needs corection that might be a good thing to start with,
but its probably quicker to do it as you go.

to maintain sync,
learn about selecting multiple items for trimming with the ripple tool.
that'll be in the books.

there's a whole world of tutorials both here, and over at

[www.kenstone.net]

nick
May 08, 2005 01:55PM
Nick thanks for the pointer, appreciated.

I guess there is always a temptation for us "self-taughts" to be looking for "the way" rather than just "going-with-the-flow".

Good to hear you guys talking about "just do it!" :-)

Chris
The thing about editing is that it's intuitive. There's no such thing as "the right way to do it". Some people like to lay down music first so they have a guide; others might cut image without sound and then lay music on top, the "syrup" approach as one of my old instructors called it. I do a hybrid -- image and music/sound inform each other, so I tend to oscillate between music-first and image-first, depending on my mood.

The important thing is to have something down, with image and sound, as soon as possible. You can't have an opinion on a cut before you have a cut done, so just put things down as quickly and freely as possible. Cut first, judge later. And don't second-guess your creative decisions until you're done with them. An idea might look like it sucks when you first apply it, but it could be either the idea doesn't work, or that you haven't taken it to its fullest extent yet. First impressions don't happen a second time, though, so I always say, do what your gut tells you; decide later whether it's right.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics