Digibeta files on Ibook G4

I'm about to Telecine (from Super 16 to Digibeta quicktime files) and was wondering if my I Book G4 coud handle running the Digibeta files and editing them on Final Cut Pro.

I have a 1.07 Ghz processor and 1.00 GB of memory. Can my computer even run FCP Studio?

Otherwise I could also run an older version of FCP and do a rough cut from DV Cam files?

Thank you!
Greg Kozikowski
Re: Digibeta files on Ibook G4
May 10, 2005 10:07PM

<<<my I Book G4 coud handle running the Digibeta files and editing them on Final Cut Pro.>>>

That doesn't tell us quite enough. Are you editing SDI Uncompressed, DV Compressed? DigiBeta is a videotape technology made by Sony, not a file structure.

My guess is yes. With a nice fast, roomy FireWire drive to hold all the work, I suspect your could cut just fine. You might run into room and speed issues if you have Uncompressed Video which tends to take up a lot of room, but a DV show should be totally within your grasp.

Koz
And if you did edit 8-bit or 10-bit uncompressed, how would you get the files onto the drive for the iBook to work with?
uncompressed DigiBeta (BlackMagic codec is 720X486X10-bit) runs about 27mb/sec vs. only 3.6 for DV. Some FireWire 800 external drives can keep up with that, but barely. FireWire 400 forget it. The new SATA drives found in the G5 will run 10-bit uncompressed, but there's no way your Macintosh HD in your iBook can handle that data rate.
I'm going to get the files directly from the Telecine onto a 500GB Lacie Hard drive, will that help?

Not sure what files they are, just know that they will be uncompressed Quicktime from Digibeta...

Sorry if i'm a bit technically incompetent smiling smiley
Yeah, they'll run on that drive fine....it's a RAID array, so has better speed than a single firewire drive.
Re: Digibeta files on Ibook G4
May 11, 2005 01:44PM
i captured an edited seqeunce as 10bit uncompressed, and have been playing it without a hic-up from my 1.5G powerbook / 500gig LaCie drive.
well, actualy it's on 2x250 gig FW800 drives software raided, which is pretty much the same thing.

the drive is the governing factor here,

but for FCP5, i think it needs a 1G processor

nick

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics