digitizing PAL converted to NTSC DVCAM

Posted by terry_h 
digitizing PAL converted to NTSC DVCAM
May 11, 2005 06:43PM
digitizing a project that originated in PAL and was transferred to NTSC DVCAM. Used DVCPRO50 Compressor at 720x480 (via AJA Io Component Video) and the image quality looks out of focus and there's a ton of noise as well as slight motion blurring. DVCAM looks okay when monitored on TV. Any tips or suggestions?
Greg Kozikowski
Re: digitizing PAL converted to NTSC DVCAM
May 11, 2005 06:46PM

You might consider the Nattress standards converter between PAL and NTSC rather than letting the existing software beat up the show.

www.nattress.com

Koz
Greg Kozikowski
May 11, 2005 06:47PM
Oh, wait. This stuff is *already* converted?

Koz
May 11, 2005 07:03PM
yeah the stuff is already converted. From what I understand ( I was not involved in the transfer) we did not use an alchemist machine and would prefer not to.

Wondering if there are any filters, sharpening tips, etc. capturing settings that would help the image quality. Like I said, the DVCAM looks fine when monitored on a TV. Eventually we need to make DVD reels that are palgued with noise and motion blurring.
Greg Kozikowski
May 11, 2005 07:50PM

<<<DVCPRO50 Compressor at 720x480 (via AJA Io Component Video)>>>

Component Video? The IO will convert SDI from your DVCam deck directly into 10 bit or 8 bit uncompressed on the timeline. We do a similar pathway all the time and it looks very very good.

Why are you suddenly in analog land?

Koz
May 11, 2005 11:47PM
Does it look as bad playing back on a deck as it does in the project? If the transfer is teh sux, then it's just teh sux, and there's nothing you can do about that. See if they'll do an Alchemist transfer, or pay you to use Nattress Standards Converter on it.

Random bizarre anecdote from a Kubriphile.

Jerry Lewis was in an edit bay in London (Elstree maybe?) desperately trying to make something of some apparently dodgy shooting, in wanders Stanley Kubrick...

Jerry: Well, you just can't shine a turd.

Kubrick: Yes you can. If you freeze it.

Something like that anyway.

- Justin Barham -
Greg Kozikowski
May 12, 2005 12:45AM

<<<Does it look as bad playing back on a deck as it does in the project?>>>

No. He said that way earlier:

<<<DVCAM looks okay when monitored on TV.>>>

I'm still fascinated why he's doing the transfer using analog signals. That can't be a good sign.

Koz
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics