Outputting to tape

Posted by Brian McDonough 
Outputting to tape
May 13, 2005 08:42PM
I am trying to output to tape a sequence set to DV codec that is 57 min. The tape is mini-DV 60 min. I took in the footage at DV/DVCPRO NTSC from a Kona SD card through the YUV inputs. The data rate is 3.6 mbps.

I have now tried to output to three tapes and the tape stops before the whole sequence is output every time. The timecode at the end of the tape is 41 min.

Is this possible?

Does anyone know how this is happening?

I am befuddled.

Brian
Re: Outputting to tape
May 13, 2005 08:52PM
A mini-dv tape recording DVCAM quality will only fit about 45(ish) minutes of footage, not 60 minutes. Which deck are you using? Check the settings on the deck and change them to be dv sp or mini-dv. This will give you 60 minutes on those tapes.
May 13, 2005 08:56PM
I would get longer Professional Sony DVCAM tapes and not sacrifice the quality of DVCAM ftg (which is better than plain old DV).

...but that's just me smiling smiley

- Joey
May 13, 2005 09:36PM
to be precise,

while the image quality is identical (it's all just DV codec on the tape),
the real quality of DVCam is in it's stability: less chance of dropouts, and probably longer shelf life.

much better for mastering out to.

May 13, 2005 10:35PM
The physical tape itself, if you buy full-size DVCam tapes, is also more robust. More plastic, more shock absorption.

I have personally never found *any* advantage to using a Mini-DV tape to record DVCam mode.
May 13, 2005 11:48PM
that's right.

and one time when i DID record DVCAM to miniDV tapes, i had some unfortunate dropouts.
i was told it want a good idea to do that, so i try not to.

nick

May 14, 2005 11:41AM
Mini-DV-sized DVCAM runs 40 minutes. It was built for cameras like the PD-150 which don't take standard size DVCAM cassettes.

DVCAM runs a third faster past the heads, sports locked audio, and uses a better coating and lubricant.

It just be better.

- Loren

Your professional placemat is served.
Now available:
After Effects 6.x
Boris RED 3GL
Avid ExpressPro 4.x
Final Cut Pro HD (4.5)
Photoshop CS (8)
Illustrator CS (11)
FileMaker Pro 7
OSX/Safari
OSX Mail/AddressBook/iCal
Word for OSX

www.neotrondesign.com
May 14, 2005 07:01PM
"...while the image quality is identical (it's all just DV codec on the tape),
the real quality of DVCam is in it's stability: less chance of dropouts, and probably longer shelf life."

Gotta disagree in part with you here, nick.

It may be the same codec, but it's FAR from just a better tape format...DVCAM is more than that. The tape speed is FASTER while recording (28.215 mm/sec for DVCAM compared to 18.81 mm/sec for DV) - which means MORE COLOR INFORMATION ON THE TAPE - which means a cleaner, sharper, more colorful & higher contrast image. That, AND the DVCAM tape stock is superior to plain old DV, makes DVCAM SUPERIOR...Period.

SPECS:

[www.videouniversity.com]

- Joey
May 14, 2005 07:38PM
Joey: "which means MORE COLOR INFORMATION ON THE TAPE - which means a cleaner, sharper, more colorful & higher contrast image."

Totally incorrect, I'm afraid. There is absolutely zero picture difference between miniDV, DV, DVCAM and DVCpro. There's no more information recorded on tape on DVCAM over DV, you don't get a cleaner image, a sharper iamge, you don't get more colour and you don't get higher contrast - the pictures are identical.

DVCAM is more robust, less prone to dropouts etc. etc. Not that dropouts are much of an issue on DV. DVCPro is even more robust still.

Graeme

[www.nattress.com] - Plugins for FCP-X
May 14, 2005 07:50PM
...then how do you explain the tape speed difference?
May 14, 2005 08:08PM
i just thoroughly read my own "SPECS" link.

"...The consumer-oriented DV uses 10 micron tracks in SP recording mode. Newer camcorders offer an LP mode to increase recording times, but the 6.7 micron tracks make tape interchange problematic on DV machines, and prevents LP tapes from being played in DVCAM or DVCPRO VTRs. Sony's DVCAM professional format increases the track pitch to 15 microns (at the loss of recording time) to improve tape interchange and increase the robustness and reliability of insert editing. Panasonic's DVCPRO increases track pitch and width to 18 microns, and uses a metal particle tape for better durability. DVCPRO also adds a longitudinal analog audio cue track and a control track to improve editing performance and user-friendliness in linear editing operations."

graeme & nick - you are correct, sirs (open mouth - insert foot).

I will still continue to use DVCAM always for the more professional tape format smiling smiley

- Joey
May 14, 2005 09:35PM
Amen to that.

[Not that dropouts are much of an issue on DV. ]

I'm about to recapture one because of a cute lil dropout which threw the second half of a logged 1 hour clip completely out of synch. Too subtle to be a detectable TC break but plenty dispruptive enough to cause a ripple in the image and synch break. Probably a dirty camera head. After miniDV play I now clean the deck after every tape.

:-(

And the WORST thng anyone can do is use a "Long Play" mode. I've run into that too. Totally lowball kid stuff. It won't run on anything except the camera it was shot on.

DVCAM, DVCPRO or bust for useable offline downconverts and useable output.

- Loren
Today's FCP HD 4.5 keytip:
Do a virtual Audio Mixdown to lighten playback load with Command-Option-R!

The FCP HD KeyGuide?: your power placemat.
Now available at KeyGuide Central
www.neotrondesign.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics