television effects

Posted by bill black 
television effects
May 14, 2005 12:43PM
Is there an FCP plug in out there that simulates television like lines and vertical and hoizontal hold effects?
Re: television effects
May 14, 2005 01:24PM
You can buy them from artbeats.com. They aren't plugins, they are video images that you need to composite with your footage.
May 14, 2005 01:31PM
you can't composite a vertical or horizontal hold effect into an image. The actual image needs to be distorted.

I know it exist it was done in The Ring, Independance Day and I have seen it in the Discreet plug in set.
raz
May 14, 2005 06:44PM
It can be done in After effects. The foundry has a plug in called Tinderbox, which includes a "bad tv" effect. I used it on a 3 second shot and it worked quite well, however it was a bit of beast to render.

hope that helped

Raz

Greg Kozikowski
May 14, 2005 09:27PM

<<<I know it exist it was done in The Ring>>>

I did some of the ones in Ring2. I produced real video garbage and they distorted the picture and composited it in the 2K machines. It was one of our more successful collaberations.

Koz
May 14, 2005 09:52PM
for FCP,
have a look at cameraPOV from profound:

[www.profoundeffects.com]

and "digital interferance" from Buena:

[www.buena.com]

nick

May 14, 2005 10:01PM
i've also used a blend of tv snow filmed off the tv, and a vid clip.
or maybe it was fcp's noise generator plus clip?
i think it was

then i put the same fcp "distortion / ripplie" flter on both to give them a momentary wobble.

for a frame or 2 it's convincing enough... (just)

but speaking of filming off a bad tv...
why not just do it for real with your source / bg clip?

nm

May 14, 2005 10:11PM
thanks a lot nick. The soure clip is animation and I would not know how to simulate it othe than the ripple effect you suggested. I am going to try that.
May 14, 2005 11:09PM
oh, another plug in that's worth playing with:

graeme natess'es free "red" filter

[www.nattress.com]

drop that in a clip, and turn it to b+w.
you get a "scan line" effect.
add the fcp tint filter to bring back some tv-blue colour.

if you are moving the image around, you'll get freaky interfearance patterns.
is that a good or bad thing?
you decide!

nm

May 15, 2005 12:31AM
What I am really looking for is that vertical hold effect. I just want a momentary roll. I have seen it before but not in an FCP plug in
Greg Kozikowski
May 15, 2005 12:35AM

<<<but speaking of filming off a bad tv...
why not just do it for real with your source / bg clip?>>>

I can think of one good reason. When was the last time you saw a TV with a vertical hold control? Horizontal hold hasn't been available in years. Fine tuning? What's that? Tracking? Isn't that the message that appears on the screen before each movie?

The only reason we got away with it is that I still have enough old equipment running to fool with.

You might be able to get the lines and snow by partially disconnecting the channel 3 input to either the TV or a VCR. A lot of VCRs go into blank or blue screen mute now if they can't make a good picture, so that might not work, either

Our joke after Ring2 was now the whole world is going to know that all video problems have to look like a 1977 3/4 machine breaking up.

(Newsrooms sound like a teletype, radar goes round and round, etc.)

Koz
Greg Kozikowski
May 15, 2005 12:40AM

Can't you push the timeline picture off the screen if you want to? Can't you push one picture off while you're pushing another on effectrively creating a "roll bar".

Nobody knows what that black bar is supposed to look like anyway, so if you just made it black, nobody would know.

Get the damaged video by shooting the screen.

Koz
May 15, 2005 12:44AM
good point Koz I unfortunatly remember my parents Zenith with the horizontal and vertical hold knob and of course don't forget the rabbit ears and the big attena on the roof.

As the Ring is my favortie horror movie of all time I wanted to use a bit of that for a demo I am putting together.

Well I will try that host of tricks that you suggested or I can try to find that Arkaos rolling effect I know exists.
May 15, 2005 12:50AM
yeah that would work, I just want a plug in to do the work for me.
May 15, 2005 01:27AM
What about a push slide between two copies of the clip. Adjust the length of the push to simulate a roll up. The angle might be good at something like 3 degrees, since the roll never seems quite straight. Repeat as much as you need.
May 15, 2005 01:34AM
hey, koz,
congrats on that ring gig!

nm

Greg Kozikowski
May 15, 2005 03:57PM

<<<congrats on that ring gig!>>>.

Thank yew.

We are secure in our position of making video look bad better than anyone else.

Koz
May 15, 2005 05:55PM
[www.digieffects.com]
Delirium
DE VideoMalfunction
Used it many times and does just what you need.

Shawn Bockoven
May 16, 2005 05:18AM
After Effects, tinderbox plugs, bad TV.
Very nice solution.
Cheers

gianluca
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics