UPGRADING THE XSERVE RAID

Posted by rockin ron 
UPGRADING THE XSERVE RAID
May 14, 2005 03:13PM
HELLO ALL

DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THERE IS A LIMIT ON THE SIZE OF THE DRIVES YOU CAN PUT INTO AN XSERVE RAID HOUSING?

RIGHT NOW WE HAVE 14 X 250, CAN WE GO 14 X 300 OR 14 X 400? OR BIGGER LIKE 14 X 1TB?

ALSO DO THE LARGER DRIVES NEED APPLE FIRMWARE? HAS ANYONE DONE THIS YET?

ANY INFO WILL BE APPRECIATED

THANKS
Re: UPGRADING THE XSERVE RAID
May 14, 2005 04:10PM
Ron, please don't post questions written all in CAPS - it makes them hard to read and looks like you're shouting.

I would think it's possible to put the drives from the 400GB version into the 250GB version, but I've not heard of 1GB drives - I don't think they're made that big, and I have no idea about them needing to be "special" drives or not.

I think, for cost effectiveness and reliability, I'd just buy a new Xserve RAID and keep the old one too.

Graeme

[www.nattress.com] - Plugins for FCP-X
May 14, 2005 04:27PM
I don't think you can just replace one commodity drive with one of the trays shipped in an XServe RAID. Apple gets a premium price for their drives in an XServe product.

I will jump on my RANT box too. What difference does it make if someone posts in ALL CAPS? Who makes up these inane rules about internet etiquette?

And while I am at it -- Who made up the rules about whether men should put the seat back down after using the toilet? I say - screw it - just don't put the seat up!!!

</RANT>
May 14, 2005 05:51PM
It's not a rule, it's just that ALL CAPS is pretty hard to read. If you want people to help you, then it's best to write in such a way that makes it people to read. Like many "rules", it has a very practical basis, so I don't think it's inane at all. It's just like the "rules" of writing in sentences, and using punctuation and paragraphs.

That said, going back to the dawn of time, I remember the story of the first TRS-80 I think, that only did CAPS - no lower case. The reason, I was told, was so that you could write god with a capital G. And later on there was an extra ROM you could buy if you wanted lower case characters.

Graeme

[www.nattress.com] - Plugins for FCP-X
May 14, 2005 07:39PM
Its also etiquette. All caps hives the appearance of yelling, as in THE RULE IN THIS FORUM IS DONT USE ALL CAPS!!

Michael Horton
-------------------
May 14, 2005 07:55PM
Yes, I know what is the rule of posting etiguette, but WHO made the rule up that we all are supposed to know and follow religiously?
May 14, 2005 08:07PM
Koz

:-)

Michael Horton
-------------------
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics