migrating to fcp from media composer

Posted by Doug 
The trailer company I work at is considering migrating to fcp after seeing what it would cost to upgrade to a 2gigabit unity system, and bring all the avids (14) up to 11.2 or whatever the latest os9 version is.

Has anybody written or read an article about what to expect in making this transition? I edited in fcp reglularly for a year and a half back during version 3, so I'm familiar with it... but this was in a non-networked environment where the deadlines were quite a bit looser.

Anyway, I'm just looking to draw upon other people's experiences with making the switch in this type of environment. Here's what I've gathered so far in my research:

- nothing really works just like a unity system does in being able to share bins or projects, but there are options that are similar that share media.

-asymetrical trim mode is not really there yet in fcp, but fcp has such an advanced "segment mode" that you don't need it as much.

-media management is no comparison, avid is much more robust / reliable / whatever.

Anybody have any info to relay in regards to moving a project with existing cuts to fcp via automatic duck?

thanks in advance,
doug
Re: migrating to fcp from media composer
May 16, 2005 10:41AM
I don't think AD does Avid-> FCP does it? I thought it is only FCP -> Avid

Use an EDL and lots of cleanup work.

Sounds like you have been talking to a bunch of Avid users who don't care to know what FCP is! Trim Modes go bye-bye in FCP! Sure media management is assumed to be easier in Avid - but in reality the Mac OS makes media management easier than a PC.

The Timeline is prettier and easier to look at and understand.

Try it and see if you like it - it's the only way!!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics