mpeg 2 into final cut with audio-

Posted by andrew kopjak 
hello fellow friends--

i have converted a friend to FCP-

he has been editing on some weird pc program that i've never heard of before. anyway, he has captured several hrs of tv clips (via tivo) into his pc.
they have been captured as mpeg 2.

we now need to take these clips and get them into fcp so he can edit. i have done a test, and as mpeg 2, they come in to fcp without audio, but play in quicktime with audio. Also, the frame size is different that dv. what am i to do about the audio coming into fcp- and secondly, what should i do about the frame size?

thanks

andrew
Hi Andrew,

Not sure if this will work, but I find MPEG Streamclip great for converting MPEG2's. (Free download..do a Google search)
2. How do u mean that the frame size is different?

Marcus
Re: mpeg 2 into final cut with audio-
May 17, 2005 05:01PM
In addition to Mpeg Streamclip I found that DVDxDV is very useful and does not utilize an Apple Intermediary Code before outputting the Quicktime.

leximus
thanks- im going to try that mpeg streamclip- ive just downloaded it.

ill post the outcome.

thanks again

andrew
Re: mpeg 2 into final cut with audio-
May 17, 2005 10:33PM
I'll second the streamclip recommendation. Basically you need to convert the MPEG-2s to something like DV for editing.

- Justin Barham -
it works! guys

thanks a million!!!!

mpeg2 in .mov out

nice!

andrew
I've found that converting mpeg-2 into DV, especially into final cut pro via ffmpegx, really looks bad, quality drops severely, converting into quicktime movie is better but not by much, there is a cropping and quality issue, any suggestion would appreciated,

also I've found that PC files will often end in .MOD this can be changed on a Mac to the suffix .mv2 then, using the freeware ffmpegx you can go into fcp.

thanks for the DVDxDV suggestion, I'm off to give it a try
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics