16:9 sequence question

Posted by Nes 
Nes
16:9 sequence question
May 18, 2005 01:28PM
I have captured 16:9 HDV footage converted in camera to dv to use in FCP 4.5. I have edited my timeline and everything looks correct in the 16:9 format, but whe n I go to print to a tape, the sequence loses the letterbox and stretches to fit in a 4:3 tape and looks very distorted. How do I fix this?
Re: 16:9 sequence question
May 18, 2005 08:35PM
If you are going to play it on a 16:9 tv then this isn't a problem. (Probably) what you are seeing is what 16:9 looks like when it is seen on a 4:3 tv.

If you need it to play on a 4:3 tv, make a new sequence, making sure it is not an anamorphic sequence, and drag your completed sequence from the browser into the new 4:3 sequence. This will do the letterboxing for you so that it can be watched in the correct ratio on a normal tv.
Nes
May 19, 2005 12:14AM
cool thanks for the tip, it helped me a lot. yeah im still new with using 16:9 and anamorphic.

this forum is awsome! it is one of the more nice places to go for good advice.
May 19, 2005 08:52AM
Here's an interesting thing about 16:9: When you get the computer to "capture in 16:9", all it does is add a little checkmark to the "Anamorphic" column to your clip in the Browser!

This should mean that, theoretically speaking, if you mistakenly capture a 16:9 clip without selecting the 16:9 capture preset, you should be able to go into the Browser and add the checkmark to "Anamorphic" to correct the problem.

I've never had to do the above, but I've also tried clicking on the Anamorphic checkmark in the Browser on a normal, non-16:9 clip. When I drag it into a normal timeline, it gets letterboxed and crunched. So I don't think there's anything native to the clips that FCP picks up on; it's all dependent on that little column in the Browser.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics