Capturing: Does it take a big one?

Posted by Adam Wilhite 
Does anybody know the necessary disc-space to capture HDV into FinalCutPro 5 in full HiDef as opposed to the next lower res, in say GB for min of tape? That is: how much drive space would a guy need to edit in HiDef real time?
Re: Capturing: Does it take a big one?
May 20, 2005 11:01PM
HDV nativley is about the same data rate / file size as DV.

so around 13G / Hr.

nick

Hey Nick,

I never knew that! What's the explanation for this? What is the resolution of "native" HDV, and why would it look better than DV if it ends up taking up the same amount of storage? Is it just because the first level of imagery captured is superior (eg. shooting on film and transferring to DV)?

I haven't dealt with HDV, but may do so in a month or two. Just wanted to know more.
May 21, 2005 04:16AM
oh, no.. im the guy they meant when htey said "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing"

so here's my little bit of knowledge, take it with a grain of salt:

HDV is compressed using MPEG. LOTs more compression.

the biggest difference beteen MPREG and DV is that MPEG is.. uh whats the word..
anyway it records one complete frame with all the info, then the subsequent frames (15 i think) create their images by refering to the first. ("this pixel is a bit brighter than the same one in the last frame"winking smiley
something like that.

i have never seen this mentioned, but i think the first time this sort of thing was used in an important way was with the voyager satelites.
one of them suffered a malfunction, and couldnt point it's big satelite dish back to earth, only the small one, with a meagre trickle of information.
the NASA scientists re-wrote the code in the on board computer while it was in-flight and used this same compression technique to drastically reduce the amount of data needed for each picture.

this:
[www.amazon.com]
*might* be the excelent book where i read about this. (i've forgotten the author)

luckily adam wilt has an HDV page:
[www.adamwilt.com]
and he's someone with a LOT of knowledge

cheers,
nick

May 21, 2005 06:37AM
The MPEG2 used in HDV is about 2.5 times as efficient as the DV codec, but it's compressing 4 times as many pixels. This means you get high def, but if you look at the image too closely, it's actually lower quality than DV, but because it's high def, any artifacts appear 4 times smaller, so are a lot harder to see unless you blow it up really big, which would be bigger than you can blow up DV because it's higher def, which means, it's a compromise, just like everything....

Graeme

[www.nattress.com] - Plugins for FCP-X
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics