Speed Change Help

Posted by Keith 
Speed Change Help
May 22, 2005 05:08PM
I am using FCP 4. I am trying to slow down the speed of a clip. I have tried fit to fill, changing the speed by % and duration. The problem is after the change. When the play head is stopped it looks fine. When I hit play it shows a totally different area. What did I do wrong, or what did I miss?

Keith
Re: Speed Change Help
May 22, 2005 11:40PM
Could be a render problem or a corrupt project file. Have you tried match-framing the clip, recutting it into a new area of the sequence, and redoing the speed change again? Does it yield the exactly same result?

I've had funky speed-change glitches before where I nudge the percentage of a constant-speed clip, but somewhere along the way, FCP assumes I want "Variable Speed" (which I never do -- I hate the feature) and changes it for me.
May 23, 2005 02:17AM
Keith,

For a Fit to Fill: do you have ins and outs marked both in the timeline and on the incoming clip? Fit to fill needs four points marked.

Other way to do it: use Modify>Speed. Less precise, but if you park your clip somewhere off the end of your sequence, apply the speed change, blade off trim ends and then drag it back to position, that should achieve the same result.

hth
Clay
May 23, 2005 04:54AM
I have this problem too.
Its because FCP sucks.

The only way to fix that is to render out the part of the timeline you wanna speedchange and then import it again and then change the speed.

FCp does this alot of the time if you have captured the footage live (Not logged the clip) or if the master clip is very long.
May 23, 2005 08:20AM
Are we talking time remap or fit to fill here?

If time remap, then yes, you need to either capture small discrete clips, or qt out just the section of the clip you want to remap and import back in to apply the effect. It otherwise applies a remap to the entire master clip. The time remap tool, at least in 4.5 (dont have 5.0 here yet), doesn't deliver as advertised when applied to large master clips, which is the way a lot of people capture. It needs to be fixed.

If we're talking fit to fill, then afaik it's a simple matter of entering ins and outs on the incoming clip and timeline positions. That will of course result in one continous speed -either faster or slower- and not a ramp or variable ramp.

Clay
May 23, 2005 09:29AM
It's a bug in FCP 4. It was repaired in FCP 4.5, which is a free online upgrade for FCP 4 users.

The workaround is to reimport the part of the video you want to change the speed of. It seems to be about one in five clips that is randomly affected.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics