NTSC to PAL

Posted by Di 
Di
NTSC to PAL
May 23, 2005 12:44AM
Hello:

I have tried to output a short 12 minute no effect project to PAL on a DVD. I use Toast to burn my DVD's. There is an option to select Pal or NTSC but it always defaults to NTSC. Do I have to re-edit in FCP in PAL or can I just change the settings to PAL temporarily.
I have other FCP projects I am working on that I don't want to mess up--so I am hesitant to change the settings if it means risking these projects.
Any suggestions?
Thanks.
Di

My system:
FCP-4 (HD); G-5, external HD. Toast Titanium
Re: NTSC to PAL
May 23, 2005 01:01AM
The conversino between standards is a more complex thing than DVDSP can do.

Get a copy of Graeme Nattress's converter.

Ian
May 23, 2005 11:32AM
Yes, you've got to convert from NTSC to PAL before you can make a PAL DVD. take a look at my converter at www.nattress.com

Graeme

[www.nattress.com] - Plugins for FCP-X
hd
May 23, 2005 01:30PM
I had recent success outputting an NTSC-originated piece, sequence rendered/exported as PAL in FCP 4.5, then burned as PAL in iDVD on a regular DVD-R. easy as pie, and worked in Europe (Brussels).

I can't believe that FCP/iDVD does this, btw. very cool.

hd
Greg Kozikowski
May 23, 2005 03:10PM

Oh, it does work, but you get hitchy video because of the crude way the conversion happens.

Did you actually view the video on a stand-alone viewer in PAL? Playing it on a computer doesn't count.

Koz
hd
May 23, 2005 04:15PM
Hi, Koz,

I didn't actually see it, not having a PAL player. I checked to see if the PAL version would play in any of my equip here in the US mid Atlantic while waiting for crabs and beer, and it did not. No crabs as yet, but I viewed the non-recognizeable PAL as a good sign.

I sent 2 versions overseas - NTSC and PAL. They told me both worked well.

Yes, I am The Man (for this 15 minutes, anyway). :-)

hd
Greg Kozikowski
May 24, 2005 09:58AM

<<<Yes, I am The Man >>>

Enjoy the sensation.

There is a European joke that they're so used to getting bad blacks and hitchy motion from us that it's "normal."

Koz
August 05, 2005 11:07AM
Related question on the NTSC to PAL thing:

I've heard that many PAL dvd players capable of playing DVD-Rs can play NTSC DVD-Rs as well. Anybody had any experience with this?

I need to send an NTSC project on DVD to Europe, and I'd like to make sure they're getting the best quality so I don't propagate the ugly video joke Koz brought up.

And as always, any help is greatly appreciated!!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics