Fixing sound in FCP?

Posted by johan polhem 
Fixing sound in FCP?
May 24, 2005 08:10PM
We used a new clumpsy camera guy for an important interview and he accidentaly did not turn on one of the mics we had attached to the person interviewing.
As a result, that audio is crap as we have to use the audio captured by the mic on the camera 10 foot from the person interviewing.
The sound is very low and when we bring it up we get a "humming" in the background that is hard for me to remove cause I do not know sound very well.

Anyone that knows any tricks or filters?
(I have messed around with the eq etc and it helped a little)
Re: Fixing sound in FCP?
May 24, 2005 08:47PM
Might try duplicating the audio tracks on top of each other. Might help a little.

Michael Horton
-------------------
May 24, 2005 09:06PM
Mike.

Yeah I tried that but and it worked somewhat, but it also reinforced the problems (The background noise, the humming)

Thanks tho
May 24, 2005 09:23PM
The new Soundtrack Pro should be able to take that humming out of the background to some degree of accuracy. Depends on how much difference there is between the actual spoken audio and the street noise.

If you don't have that one, SoundSoap can help but STP does such a marvelous job of noise reduction, that it's price of $299 is woth it on one critical job.
May 24, 2005 11:55PM
John Foley.

That sounds like its worth a try.
Will do.

Thanks
May 25, 2005 02:50AM
Hi Johan
There is a good artical in sept. 2003 dv magizine.
It is by Jay Rose- covers use of filters.
worth the read if you can find it--Jay--
May 25, 2005 09:27AM
Perspective tends to be very difficult to fix. If you can isolate just the frequency range of the vocals and then boost the low end of that range, you might create a little more of a sense of closeness. Low end, unfortunately, is generally where noises and hums happen. Usually, from what I've seen, that kind of audio is doomed. x{ You may have to dirty up some of the sound around it to make it less glaring in the edit.

Kick the cameraman's behind, hard!
Greg Kozikowski
May 25, 2005 12:38PM

<<<Kick the cameraman's behind, hard!>>>

Or invite him to help cut the piece. Insist on it.

<<<There is a good artical in sept. 2003 dv magizine.
It is by Jay Rose- covers use of filters.
worth the read if you can find it>>>

jrose@dv.com

He may be able to get you a copy or point you to a reprint. His stuff usually works out, especially the location shooting work.

You can help with normal Sound Soap. If you have a low humming and it's pretty constant through the piece, this is the kind of thing that SS lives for.

You will never get the presence of somebody being on-mic, however.

Koz
May 25, 2005 07:04PM
Thanks guys.
Will check this out for sure as we have more of these coming I'm sure.
I took this piece of Audio down to a recording studio and they fixed it up for now.
Expensive tho so if I can do it here myself all the better.

Johan Polhem
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics