Vertical lines in my video

Posted by Eric 
Vertical lines in my video
May 30, 2005 02:50AM
So I exported my sequence using QT movie and when I play it back, the video looks really clear except that these strange vertical lines keep appearing when the subjects in the video move. It looks like the subjects are being sliced up into weird pieces. Any advice?
Greg Kozikowski
Re: Vertical lines in my video
May 30, 2005 12:43PM

<<<strange vertical lines keep appearing when the subjects in the video move.>>>

Reconsider the direction. Weird Horizontal lines happen during interlaced video during motion.

Koz
May 30, 2005 01:15PM
What do yo mean by change direction? How do I get rid of them?
Greg Kozikowski
May 30, 2005 01:35PM

<<<What do yo mean by change direction? How do I get rid of them?>>>

Fine slicing up of the image side to side is a result of television interlace problems. FCP normally won't show you problems like that until you get the show out the door into the final medium.

Top to bottom lines could be a number of things including original tape damage.

Does the damage happen in the same place on the show every time and can you freeze on it?

Do this. Find an easily identifiable place where the picture is damaged. Go back to the timeline and find that same place.

Force the canvas window to be 100% with the little tab on top. Pull the window larger and larger until there is a littel gray all around the picture. Step forward and backward one or two frames. Did the vertical line damage suddenly show up?

Koz
May 30, 2005 03:39PM
The slicing only happens in playback in almost all the scenes. I'm trying to export this 5 minute demo clip of high rez into a QT movie so I can put it into IDVD.

And when I export it, it comes out really small. How do I

1) de-interlace, if that's the problem

2) export the timeline so it comes out like a normal inage to fit a TV screen
Greg Kozikowski
May 30, 2005 08:04PM

<<<when I export it, it comes out really small.>>>

Maybe I'm going to find out a little more about the job. What was the original material? MiniDV Videotape?

Koz
May 30, 2005 09:17PM
Somehow I finally pushed enough buttons to finally fix it.

I think it was switchig to progresive rather than interlace that did it.
Greg Kozikowski
May 30, 2005 10:31PM

<<<I think it was switchig to progresive rather than interlace that did it.
And when I export it, it comes out really small>>>

Yes, that's what happens when you import videos from either your still camera or your cell phone.

So what was this shoot, "Revenge Of The Sith" from the screen at the local multiplex, or a couple of friends experimenting with new and improved uses of baby oil?

Koz
May 30, 2005 10:57PM
Don't you wish.

Believe it or not, it was real video from my Sony.
Greg Kozikowski
May 31, 2005 07:31PM

<<<Believe it or not, it was real video from my Sony.>>>

You mush have pushed a lot of buttons to convert the video to progressive and at a different picture size. That's hard to do.

Koz
May 31, 2005 07:47PM
Somehow the combination of PROGRESSIVE plus MULTI-MEDIA 4X3 gives a beautiful playback in the canvas and as a QT export.
If you get funny lines through the footage you may want to have a look at your pixel aspect ration.
De-interlacing may make them dissapear but at the same time you loose quality so by making sure that you have the same setting in your sequence regarding pixel ration as the movie is a better way to fix this.
NTSC should be 0.9 and PAL is 1.07 in the sequence and in the footage interpretation.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics