Rendering As A Punishment

Posted by J.Corbett 
Rendering As A Punishment
June 01, 2005 10:56PM
So here i am trying to figure out why is it that it takes longer to do a project in fcp than in imovie. THIS CANT BE RIGHT.!!
IF EYE ADD TEXT I HAVE TA RENDER .
IF EYE CHANGE ITS COLOR RENDER.
ADD A CLIP RENDER.
RESIZE THE CLIP RENDER
EVEN THE DEFAULT CROSSDISOLVE RENDER

It almost seems as if the settings are forever changing but there is only the evidence of me noticing that i am in the render zone. Sometime i can add transitions that need no rendering then 25 minutes later I HAVE TA RENDER ANY AND ALL THINGS THAT EYE DO EXCEPT MOVE THE SCRUBER.. what the????
Re: Rendering As A Punishment
June 01, 2005 11:34PM
iMovie does one format and one format only, so there's no much room for configurations mistakes (all right, it now does TWO formats. But still very easy for the application to auto set-up itself).

Final Cut Pro can work with dozens of formats, literally. Since they are usually aquired digitally, the way they are on tape is the way the end up being on the hard drive.

Trust me, if you drag a clip to the timleine and get a red bar, your sequence settings (or/and your audio video settings) are wrong. It's that simple.

In Final Cut Pro, the sequence and A/V settings have to absolutely match the settings of the captured clips for them to work properly. This is not too hard, as you just need to choose the proper easy set-up.

If you're working with a DV NTSC camera, just go to Final Cut Pro > Easy set-ups > DV NTSC. Unfortunately, this will only work for future sequences, not the ones you already created. For that, you would need to choose the right easy set-up AND go to Sequence > Settings > Load Sequence Preset (and choose DV-NTSC, if that's your format). If you're using DV PAL, everything is just the same but with DV PAL settings. If you're working with another format, let us know.

All these things are explained in the manual. You really, really need to read it smiling smiley

Adolfo Rozenfeld
Buenos Aires - Argentina
www.adolforozenfeld.com
J., you should get into the habit of finishing 90 per cent if not all of the layout of each title card before you render. Choose the font, position it, pick the colour, drop the shadow, place over image, make sure it's good, then render it. This is why the Canvas window can do single-frame previews of almost any effect (except time-based effects like Strobe, Graeme's 24p filters etc., of course). Place your timeline playhead over the title in question, then tinker with the settings in the Viewer before you go render-crazy.

And I concur with Adolfo -- your sequence settings are most likely not matching your clip's capture settings. Check the clips using APPLE-9 to open up its properties, then cross-reference with your sequence settings (APPLE-0). Cross dissolves and many Motion settings in FCP don't require rendering -- you're doing something else which is causing the red bar, most likely a wrong codec or audio setting.
OK fellas and fellets here are the stats on my fcp project.
4 clips @ 352x288- accually these needed no render
1 clip @ 288 x 190 - needed rendering
4 clips @ 720x480- from a panasonic dv cam that recorded sound at 12bit
4 clips @ 720x480 - from a panasonic dv cam that recorded sound at 16bit stills @ 279x190 - even these needed rendering after i put wipes on them
8 text clips made in fcp - needed rendering
sequence settings @ dv ntsc
pixel @ ntsc ccir 601

If you need any other info let me know this render problem is cause a lot of deadlines to look closer than they are.

ps: i read the manual alot and i have been certified in fcp level 1 but this is something that i cant seem to get around.
oh by the way, i am not using audio from these clips at all
hey still in hell over here. did anyone see the specs i gave
Re: Rendering As A Punishment
June 03, 2005 04:46PM
You appear to have at least 4 different types of clips. As stated above if your clip does not match your sequence setting you will need to render. Given these 4 diffeent clip sizes they cannot all match your single sequence setting hence the renderring.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics