Best chroma keying software

Posted by Scott Taylor 
I have seen many times on this forum mention of a keying package that does excellent DV keying, although at a hefty price. I was telling a friend about it and had a brain cramp, can't remember the name of it. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? I'll recognize it when I see it.

TU. TUVM,

Scott
Re: Best chroma keying software
June 06, 2005 08:34PM
The Primatte Keyer is considered to be one of or the very best keyer available.
June 06, 2005 09:04PM
DvMatte is also pretty good. Not that expensive either at $199.

[www.dvgarage.com]
It's called FINAL CUT PRO.
Hi
AKA as good lightning and shooting.
Beware with shadows and low ligth areas. Also none of colors in the subject should match the background.
Use color smoothing in FCP if the media captured is in DV.

Rui
June 07, 2005 09:19AM
DVMatte is the one optimized for DV footage, which is not the same as "best chroma keying software". It's probably "best DV material chroma software". DVMatte obviously produces strong antialisingi in order to get rid of DV's stairsteps, so you probably get fine but not great keying.

I am constantly amazed by Keylight, the keyer in recent versions of After Effects Pro and Shake. Primatte should be fantastic too.

Adolfo Rozenfeld
Buenos Aires - Argentina
www.adolforozenfeld.com
Ah - DVgarage is what I was trying to remember. And Primatte rings bells also. Right, $199 isn't expensive, I think I was remembering something else. Yes, I was looking for the "best DV keyer" specifically. And I recognize that FCP does a pretty good job when you employ chroma smoothing, which I'm also looking into with the help of Mr. Nattress.

Thanks to all!

Scott

yes DVGarage is good..

........but you need to be very good at lighting your green screen (don't forget that minus Green subject backlight gel) Frankly I've never been entirely satisfied with any DV greenscreen work...we shoot it in Beta..bring in uncompressed and do it that way - much much cleaner key. Just take a look at the key matte - it's full of Swiss Cheese holes...which you can smooth but lose some edge often in the subject too.

DV Keying is possible but takes a tremendous amount of tweeking and work to get it right even with nice products like DVGarage... Andy
Why waste your money? FCP works just fine if you know what you are doing and add the Chroma Smoothing filter in the right order.

I reiterate that you have to know what you're doing, or NO plug in will get you a better key. Most people don't know what they're doing and then hope that some plug is gonna save their ass. I don't think so.......

This should get you going on the right path:
[www.kenstone.net]

At least try it before you blow good hard cold cash on something like DV Matte, Primatte or whatever that ALSO needs good technique.

Nope. No substitute for good technique.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics