Panasonic AG-DVX100A 24P Mini DV

Posted by Frank Fischer 
Frank Fischer
Panasonic AG-DVX100A 24P Mini DV
June 16, 2005 01:11PM
I'm toying with the idea of getting a new camera. From what I hear the Panasonic AG-DVX100A 24P Mini DV Camcorder is the way to go for a decent low priced camera. I've been doing some research and it all kind of points to getting this camera.
Anyone know know of another camera I should look at? And why?

Thanks

Frank
I have the DVX100a. It makes great pictures. I'm not very impressed with the optics. It has so much depth of field there's no way to push the background out of focus. I've played with the canon XL 1, the optics are far superior to the panasonic. Just my 2 cents worth.

Joe Brown
Get the HVX-200

[www.dvxuser.com]

Alex
Re: Panasonic AG-DVX100A 24P Mini DV
June 16, 2005 05:30PM
It's chip size that determines DOF, not the lens. The Xl1 image is fairly soft - the DVX is quite a bit sharper.

Graeme

[www.nattress.com] - Plugins for FCP-X
with all due respect Graeme, I've been shooting film and video for over 30 years, without a doubt depth of field is determined by optics. The target field (chip) size has an impact that doesn't override the optical physics of the lens. As I stated earlier the image from the DVX is good and it's very difficult to shoot anything out of focus. I would like to compare it to the XL2 one day. I still like the feel of the XL1 and the optics very much. The imaging of the XL1, I feel, is inferior to the imaging of the DVX100a.
Re: Panasonic AG-DVX100A 24P Mini DV
June 16, 2005 07:57PM
The physical dimensions of the CCD are of major importance in DOF. The smaller the sensor, the deeper the depth of field. That's why 35mm has less DOF than 16mm which is less than that of a 2/3" CCD camera which is less than that of a 1/3" CCD camera. You can change the DOF characteristics by altering the lens also, it's apperture, the focal length and the camera to object distance. Each of those parameters is interlinked so that change any one and you change the DOF. I guess it's wrong of me to say that chip size determines DOF, just as it's wrong to say it's the lens that determines it. ALL the elements I outlined above effect it, but I do think that the chip saize places more limits on the DOF than any other element in all practical terms.

Graeme

[www.nattress.com] - Plugins for FCP-X
FWIW - I've obtained some fantastic DOF results with my DVX100A- just takes some time to set up the shot correctly. For the price and feature set, the DVX can't be beat IMHO. Though I would say that if you can wait, the HVX200 will be the one to get.

Jon
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics