What are the problems with the new Quicktime?

Posted by Harry. 
6/16/05

I have read here recently that people have had problems, or at least there is some big and horrible issue with the Quicktime version which is bundled with FCP5. Something about having to pay for a Quicktime Pro upgrade ... or some bad functionality (is that a word?)

I've tried doing a forum search but can't find anything relevant. I'm just about to upgrade to FCP5 and don't want to install until I have the considered opinions of the mighty brains which populate this board.

And another thing: why can't I remember anything anymore? I often find myself gaping at my computer screen like an Aboriginee staring at a Ferris wheel.

Hiawatha Delorean, Duke of Mulholland and Queen of Isis.
Re: What are the problems with the new Quicktime?
June 16, 2005 04:15PM
QT 7 is based on a different engine so QT pro licences need to be re-done. Not an issue if you just edit in FCP. If you use QT pro to whack some send reels together, or to do a quick transcode - then you'll want to shell out for another licence. . . OR - KEEP QT 6.x AND 7 on your machine at once. Move QT 6 and rename it BEFORE installing 7 and then use the old QT when needed and the new the rest of the time.

Ian
Thanks for the info, Ian.

Harry
The QT7 Pro key comes with FCP 5, so there shouldn't be an issue there. I think the installation of FCP 5 auto-updates QT7 to Pro (no typing in codes like with earlier versions) but that makes the sequence of installation important.

The weird QT7 non-Pro issues seemed to arise when people upgraded the OS to Tiger 10.4, which included QT7, which, until FCP 5 was released, forced you to pay for the key if you REALLY couldn't live without it until FCP 5 came out. But since FCP of any version DOES NOT depend on the Pro key, it's not the heartbreak many thought it to be.

QT7 caused problems for some when used with OS 10.3.9, which is the lowest OS version that FCP 5 will work with. Also, the QT upgrade to 7.01 fixed some of the problems. But that's why Apple quick put back the QT 6.52 installer so people could revert to an environment that worked better.

Some people reported nightmares after going to FCP 5 / Tiger, but latest upgrades to Tiger and QT seem to have quieted the storm. One thing seems certain: Yoiur mileage WILL vary.

Scott
Re: What are the problems with the new Quicktime?
June 16, 2005 08:14PM
<<And another thing: why can't I remember anything anymore? I often find myself gaping at my computer screen like an Aboriginee staring at a Ferris wheel>>

Hahaha. Best thing I've read all day.

- Justin Barham -
Found an odd thing - not sure if it was QT 7 related or FCP 5..

Took in a bunch of Beta footage in FCP 5 and Tiger on a separate boot drive and then realized the person I'm collaborating with only has FCP 4.5HD

So rebooted in earlier system and QT6 - opened older FCP and imported the Files

And low and behold - they were all mono mixed to just one channel! (couldn't unsplit it)

Open in QT Player (version 6) same thing......back to FCP5 Tiger and QT7 on other boot drive - those same files were also Mono Mix in one channel on That config. Put all files off line - and reimported - they were fine - odd? Never did try again with those files in FCP4.5

Andy

Go back to QT7
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics