Starting out

Posted by MikeH 
Starting out
June 18, 2005 03:12AM
This is purposely going to be a little vague...

How much could someone expect to get paid if hired into an entry level job at a post house? Suppose this person doesn't really have much experience, except for some college projects and some freelance FCP editing of live performances that are nothing really special and don't fully show off capabilities. The person knows how to use FCP, Motion, Soundtrack Pro, DVD Studio Pro, actual film cutting, linear tape editing, and some older Avid experience. A DVD reel can be thrown together to show editing, titling/graphics, mixing, and DVD authoring.

I'm looking for worst, average, and best case scenarios.

-Mike
Re: Starting out
June 18, 2005 11:43AM
Just starting out? Then dont' expect to edit anything. Post houses or production companies with post production sections will probably hire you as a vault manager, Post PA or Assistant editor. Unless your reel is REALLY good, and you did high profile work.

I am guessing with your skills that it is best to try for Assistant editor. And try not only post houses, but as I said, also look at production companies. Many companies do their own editing and only go to post houses for the Online edit and color correction. Or if they edit at a post facility, they are just renting the bay.

A starting Assistant can get anywere from $600 (that is bottom of the barrel) to $1500, depending on skill level and budget of the show.
Re: Starting out
June 19, 2005 02:33AM
Yes, I figure I would end up starting out as some type of assistant editor or something. The figures you give are per week?

-Mike
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics