Time Code Math...

Posted by H 
H
Time Code Math...
June 18, 2005 11:49PM
The short film I'm making was cut on Final Cut. The picture sequences were converted to movie files then passed to my sound editors (along with OMF's) to be worked with in Pro-Tools.

THE PROBLEM: When picture changes were made during the sound editing, the sound editors wanted to know the difference made to the cut in seconds and frames. This was provided, however it was brought to my attention that the adding and subtracting of frames was done using 30 frames per second as opposed to 29.97.

My first question is if I have a problem? I think I do and that my conformed sound reels will be off, even if only slightly.

And my second question is if anyone can direct me to a good timecode calculator.

Thank you very much to anyone who can help!

-H

Re: Time Code Math...
June 19, 2005 04:43PM
Whoa - there big fella!

Film is usually shoot at 24fps and telecined to video at 29.97 or 30fps, depending on the pull down rate used during the telecine.

The real difference between 29.97 and 30 fps is the way timecode is counted from start. 29.97 drops a frame count at the end of each minute and the beginning of the next minute except at each 10 minute interval.

30 fps is non drop frame of consecutive running timecode all the way through the video. There are just more frames in to count in a 30fps video than in the same video at 29.97.

Re: Time Code Math...
June 21, 2005 12:40AM
Thanks John!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics