HELP - Composite Mode - Multiply ERROR

Posted by Luke Renner 
Gurus,

I need serious help and FAST.

Simply put, I have two layers of video.

In the offline edit, I changed the composite mode of the TOP layer to multiply.
Looks fine. Just what I want.

When I online, BEFORE I render the effect, it still looks fine ON THE COMPUTER MONITOR but DOES NOT show up on the external NTSC monitor.

When I render the clip out, it NO LONGER shows up on the COMPUTER MONITOR and STILL does NOT show up on the NTSC !!!!

This is NOT cool.
I cannot find ANY info on this anywhere. Seems to be a seriously legitimate glitch. Know any workarounds and/or causes? I do not have time to recut this and I really WANT to multiply the clip. BTW - other composite modes work fine. Only multiply is doing this. Arrrrrg!! I have to conform tomorrow.

Please shoot me an E-mail as well as posting an answer here.

Cheers!
Luke
Are you in Safe RT at High Quality?
OK - Solution/workaround

APPARENTLY the "multiply" composite mode is an 8-BIT effect and will NOT work in 10-BIT. Soooo...

If your sequence is a 10-BIT sequence, you must go into the sequence settings and change the render mode to 8-BIT.

That's right, all of your effects in your 10-BIT sequence must be rendered in 8-BIT because some (I am learning more than "multiply" are NOT 10-BIT compatible effects).

Developers... maybe you oughtta fix that!

Cheers!
Luke
Re: HELP - Composite Mode - Multiply ERROR
June 22, 2005 07:58PM
Should be fixed in FCP5 as I reported it a long time back. Multiply will work in 10bit if you're at 100% opacity. Any less, and it will appear to be at 0% opacity. As far as I know, this is fixed in 5. The same bug occurs in "high precision YUV mode". There are plenty more bugs in 10bit rendering than 8bit rendering.

Graeme

[www.nattress.com] - Plugins for FCP-X
June 23, 2005 10:05AM
Luke -

I'm smiling that you found a solution. But no fair - you didn't give us critical clues, so we couldn't play the game and take a stab at suggesting a solution.

As punishment - you don't get brownie points for being first on this one.

Graeme -

Without having a list of bugs - is there a particular class of effects that you can predict will be problematic in 10 bit - or do you fly blind until you get a blank?

So as I understand what you are saying - the optimal work flow when you run into this would be to:

render in 10 bit -
save as self contained.
clone timeline
change clone render mode to 8 bit and render the holes
conform the two
Pray you don't have a color shift

Sounds like fun.

Ian
June 23, 2005 10:25AM
I don't think there's anyway to figure out in advance if a plugin or effect is going to break in 10bit. Just remember that it's flaky and everything needs to be double checked.

Graeme

[www.nattress.com] - Plugins for FCP-X
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics