iMac G5 1.8 GHz and G5 2 GHz for FCP5/MOTION/LIVETYPE

Posted by gev 
gev
iMac G5 1.8 GHz and G5 2 GHz for FCP5/MOTION/LIVETYPE
June 23, 2005 01:03PM
looking for comparison & commets on both these IMACs f the work is mainly . focussed for cuttig with FCP5 /ivetype and basic motion stuff. shoud we go for bit more pricey 2gig or stay with 1.8 with 1.5 GB ram. share info for me to take a decision. TIA
GEV

thanks for those who SHARE-gev
Will they work for FCP and Livetype? Yes. Will you see much of a difference? barely. We woudl be talking in the matter of under 10 seconds difference in render speeds.

Motion will not work on an iMac. G4 Tower or G5 tower with specific video cards only.
Re: iMac G5 1.8 GHz and G5 2 GHz for FCP5/MOTION/LIVETYPE
June 23, 2005 01:44PM
I don't disagree with anything said here except that I believe the latest iMAC 2.0 GHz video card WILL run Motion.

That said, the iMAC is not a system up to professional use for video editing and DVD authoring. The iMAC is just not expandable enough to qualify as the best solution. You can make it work, but at a cost.
Here's some advice you probably won't like:

Don't use an iMac at all.

Get a tower with dual processors and the fastest video card you can afford if you are serious about running Motion.

As someone who has tried both I can definitely tell you to go for the newer imacs specifically because of the video card. I had a sync issue (that's what apple engineering decided to call it) with the imac Rev. A 20" video out (via adapter) that Apple couldn't or wouldn't fix. I ended up with a Rev. B model and the issue is fixed.

The general specs on the Rev. B model are really that much better as well... it's the machine that should have started the imac g5 line. I love my imac 20" and will be editing my documentary with it for the next 6 months. As the footage is DV from a DVX-100A I don't forsee any speed problems at all. If your looking to save a grand or two and don't plan to use any HD-ish footage then this machine is a bargain and will make a great workstation of some sort for years to come.

Bare Feats web site did a test that showed no real world performace gain (just a gain with the test software apparently) in the imac by having matched ram pairs as is needed on the towers. I have an extra gig of ram (unmatched) along with the default 512mb and it seems fine.

Check out a little app called the Screen Spanning Doctor as well. It's a little bit of a hack but it makes the imac twice as great! Especially for things like color correction on a crt monitor (and no, using this doesn't have anything to do with the above mentioned sync problem)
gev
Re: iMac G5 1.8 GHz and G5 2 GHz for FCP5/MOTION/LIVETYPE
June 24, 2005 08:44AM
THANKS for the replies. is there any MARKED speed in render or performance differece between iMac G5 1.8 GHz and G5 2 GHz as the Frontside bus IS 600 & 667 RESPECTIVEY.
How to CHK REVISION NUMBER when iam going for 17' 1.8 or 2 Gig. pl inform . is there any power or Noise issue which i read in forums though i think it is solved in Rev B. correct me if iam wrong .TIA

Post Edited (06-24-05 06:56)

thanks for those who SHARE-gev
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics