Can I Create the PS Exclussion Effect in FCP

Posted by Gary Sumlak 
Can I Create the PS Exclussion Effect in FCP
June 26, 2005 03:28PM
When I duplicate a layer in PhotoShop and then, on the top layer, use the "Exclusion" layer effect, you get a funky combination of positive and negative image. I would like to do this in FCP, but as there is no Exclusion composite mode, and I have not been able to figure out a way to simulate the effect.

i.e. Start on the "Exclusion" image and then cross fade to the original, unmodified image.

Can someone tell me if there is a way to do this internally in FCP, or do I have to do this in PS. I would love to be able to do this in FCP to apply the effect to a video clip and not just still images.

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks
Gary Sumlak
thumbprints Multimedia Inc.
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
[www.thumbprints.ca]

*** Superior Film Transfers at a Reasonable Price ***
Have you tried the Difference mode in FCP? PS help describes Exclusion mode as "Creates an effect similar to but lower in contrast than the Difference mode. Blending with white inverts the base color values. Blending with black produces no change."

Might help.

Scott
Re: Can I Create the PS Exclussion Effect in FCP
June 28, 2005 04:23PM
I am trying that, but I am having difficulty working my head around how to apply what PS says. I have tried different options with the Difference mode, and the closet I get is a strange looking negative. Not at all what I am looking for.

The effect I had using Exclusion resulting in only hi contrast area getting the Negative effect and the rest of the image was untouched. If it would help, I could post a link to an still example of what I am going for.

Thanks
Gary Sumlak
[www.thumbprints.ca]

I can sympathize with the "getting my head around" problem. I haven't used Exclusion (or Difference) enough myself to have much feel. I know it's critical what kind of images you're blending as to the type of effect they will have.

Sure, provide a link. In fact, provide both layers independently so we can see what you're starting with.

Scott
Re: Can I Create the PS Exclussion Effect in FCP
June 30, 2005 02:36AM
Thanks for the reply Scott.

Basically, I take the original image, duplicate it and the apply Exclusion blend option to the copy (which is on the top level).

The effect is obviously tied into the white levels as only the brightest parts of the image are affected, but that is as far as I can figure out the process.

As always, any suggestions or help is greatly appreciated.

[homepage.mac.com]

Thanks
Gary Sumlak
[www.thumbprints.ca]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics