Memory Question
June 28, 2005 03:13AM
Hi,

I'm curious to know if FCP 5 is actually fully exploiting the 8GB of RAM I have in
my system? When I open "System Settings" => "Memory & Cache", I see "Memory Usage" => "application" => "100% (2560 MB)". Is there a way to assign more RAM to FCP? Thanks. br...jb
Re: Memory Question
June 28, 2005 09:15AM
Yes and no.

In order to take full advantage of 8 gigs of RAM you need to be working with 64-bit programs. FCP is not a 64-bit program. This means that FCP on its own can only use 4 gigs of ram.

But your 8 gigs of RAM can still be put to good use. OS 10.4 is a 64-bit. This means that if you are using multiple programs along side of FCP your total memory used can exceed the 4-gig mark. This helps to ensure that FCP gets all of the memory that it wants when it wants it.

Ryan

Re: Memory Question
August 11, 2005 05:37AM
Hi,

yes I also have notice this, but how is it possible to change Memory Usage from 2560MB to a higher number?

Also, I noticed in the Activity Monitor that FCP only grabs a portion of memory 140MB Real and 860MB Virtual Memory.

Which gives me only 3,50GB free RAM. So how can you have FCP access more RAM, or will FCP do this on its own?

But the main problem I have is, when export a 4 min long clip with a Magic Bullet filter it takes Compressor 2 hours!!!
Well thats what Compressor says.

Has anybody have this same experience or is something wrong on my side?

Thanks

Shaggy
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics