Dos on My screen

Posted by J.Corbett 
Dos on My screen
July 11, 2005 03:57PM
has anyone ever experienced what looks to be DOS poping up on the monitor??
i was about to try to burn a cd out of dvdsp and when igot to 4% all of a sudden i was looking at DOS entries ( not moving or progressing) on my screen. Ya know the black screen with white writing and that blinking cursor
Re: Dos on My screen
July 11, 2005 05:52PM
That is a Panic crash of UNIX.
July 11, 2005 07:38PM
Mac OS X is based on MS-DOS? Ahhhhhhhh!!!!!

smiling smiley

Yeah that sounds almost like a "kernel panic." Is your system otherwise stable? I'd try some basic maintenance at this point to make it less likely to happen again.

- Justin Barham -
July 11, 2005 08:00PM
Mac OSX is based on UNIX...not DOS. The UNIX core just also happens to be text based, and have a similar look to DOS...
July 11, 2005 08:12PM
<<Mac OSX is based on UNIX...not DOS. The UNIX core just also happens to be text based, and have a similar look to DOS...>>

I know I was just kidding.

smiling smiley

- Justin Barham -
July 12, 2005 01:52AM
The kernel panics that I have had and seen have normally been caused by Hardware like plugging in a USB disk or some thing so if they keep happening try unplugging things. One machine that I administer for our Mac user group had a keyboard cable that got crimped and every time we started the machine up the the machine had a kernel panic. If I started the machine up and then plugged the cable in it seemed to work OK.
July 12, 2005 05:29AM
WHEW AND THOUGHT THAT THIS IS A SIGN OF OVER USAGE AND I WAS ABOUT TO GET A NEW G5. THANKS

i was already shuffling the budget for petes sake
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics