HDV and DV in the same timeline

Posted by Marini 
July 17, 2005 09:03PM
I bought a FCP 5 to use it editing HDV and DV formats together in the same timeline. How can i set my Final Cut to get the best performance? Do I have to set my sequence to DV and i can use HDV into that sequence? Do I have to set my sequence to HDV format and i can use DV into that sequence? How do i have to set my capture mode?
Re: HDV and DV in the same timeline
July 18, 2005 12:45AM
There are rumors that with Dynamic RT you can throw both in the same timeline. You will get an orange render line and playback may be lousy and of course you will have to render eventually, so try it and let us know.

Michael Horton
-------------------
July 18, 2005 06:52PM
Ok... Thanks for your help. I will try to use this settings. But i still don't know if i have to work in the sequence set to HDV or DV. My job is to use after the process the software Watchout to show in a screen sized 2,5mts X 10mts. So i was using in FCP 4.5 a mask in that proportion to work it. Now i don't know what i can do to keep that proportion. Thanks for your attention.
July 18, 2005 06:58PM
I dont know. You'll just have to experiment. You are going to have to render one way or another.

Michael Horton
-------------------
July 18, 2005 09:30PM
I know that if you convert to the apple intermediate codec maybe you won't need to many (or much) renders. Do you know something about it? Reading about this new format i discovered that exists a program called HDVxDV that convert this files as you need... Is this a software? Where can i find it? Thanks for your help...
July 18, 2005 09:51PM
HDVxDV is in the lafcpug store

[www.lafcpug.org]

Michael Horton
-------------------
July 20, 2005 02:21AM
after thinking about this a bit more..

while you CAN play both formats in the one timeline,
the playback is not very good.
not good enough to work with, i;d say.

so you need to pick one format as your editing format, and then batch capture the iother one when you are finished.

i;d say cut in DV.

why?

1 you can capture your HDV as DV very easily
2 you CANT view HDV out on a monitoir without expensive hardware,
and making preview tapes for people would be a chore, too.

nick

July 20, 2005 12:36PM
Thanks Nick... I am using DV as my timeline setting rendering HDV clips to see in my "normal" monitor. You'll try the HDVxDV software to convert the HDV clips to a "smaller and lighter" to work it with. I read that Final Cut 5 needs at least 4 gb to run well. is that true? My G5 is running now with 1.5 gb. Is that enough?
S...
July 20, 2005 06:21PM
why don't you just capture your HDV as DV?

you can do that direct from the camera.

what are your plans for mastering/delivery?

nick

July 20, 2005 09:29PM
oh, yes, the RAM Question.

1.5G should be fine

nick

July 22, 2005 12:29AM
This 5 short movies will be a video instalation. Each screen has 2,5 x 10mts. My client will use a Watchout software. Do you know? After finish the sequence i will have to "re-edit" to a Watchout Project (with its relative medias).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics