i hate to do it...but

Posted by stephen bates 
i hate to do it...but
July 20, 2005 10:05AM
can anyone name the programs used to rip non-copyrighted dvds and prepare those files for fcp import? i've read them here several times but never needed them and didn't make a note. maybe those could go in the faq?
thanks. steve
ok so i just reviewed 12 pages of old posts here and found the answers. here they are again.

[www.alfanet.it]
[www.ripdifferent.com]
[www.dvdxdv.com]

and remember Rip, Mix, Burn, your own content!
s
Re: i hate to do it...but
July 20, 2005 11:36AM
you have to rip with mac the ripper first
then use streamclip or dvdxdv to make it fcp ready

and remember this: if you use dvdxdv you will get a better quality export if you us ethe expert settings and choose photojpeg at 100% than you will using th esimple export to fcp setting. you'll have to render it on the fcp timeline, but the quality diff is HUGE
July 20, 2005 11:42AM
DVDxDV will rip & convert in one step...no mac ripper needed (at least I have never needed it).

- Joey

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

July 20, 2005 11:47AM
depends on how you define "rip"

ive alaways considered it to mean removing copy protection AND copying to your drive, and to my knowledge dvdxdv doesnt remove copy protection - but i could be wrong on both counts ; )
July 20, 2005 12:25PM
DVDxDV doesn't handle copyrighted material.

Michael Horton
-------------------
July 20, 2005 06:31PM
Nor does MPEG Streamclip. Too bad Mac the Ripper can only do whole DVDs, I think.
ya derek that'd be great if you could target chapters for ripping. i've been ripping and exporting for fcp all day and i have some huge files. oh and i found another ripper [handbrake.m0k.org] . it works very well. it does the following,

Outputs:
File format: MP4, AVI or OGM
Video: MPEG-4 or H.264 (1 or 2 passes or constant quantizer encoding)
Audio: AAC, MP3, Vorbis or AC-3 pass-through (supports encoding of several audio tracks)

One of the dvd's i worked with today wouldn't demux properly with mac the ripper (it had wierd errors about incorrectly formated chapters) but handbrake took it down clean, but slow.

all in all this form is great. thanks michael horton.
steve

July 20, 2005 10:22PM
if there's no copy protection on the disks, then any of the DVD > QT products mentioned will work direct from the disc.

with MTR you can grab the whole disk, just the feature, or any chapter/s you want.

nick

July 21, 2005 12:17AM
It's too bad Mac the Ripper can't do In/Out points like MPEG Streamclip (or can it?). Most of the non-copyrighted DVDs I have to work with are single-chapter suckers.
July 21, 2005 12:20AM
im pretty sure that you can go into mac the ripper and pick specific chapters - course you gotta know what chapter you want...
July 21, 2005 12:28AM
chapter,yes,
but in/outs,
no.

but as i said, the non-copy PROTECTED DVDs can be accessed directly with MPegStreamclip, and presumably DVDxDV, Cinematize, etc.

nick

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics