just want to capture

Posted by Mr. Malcolm 
just want to capture
August 25, 2005 07:41AM
Alright I've got a 2.7 G5 with 4GB of ram and 800GB of hard drive space. All
I'm trying to do is capture some footage.

When ever I run across a timecode break during a capture, I get the spinning umbrella of death and have to do a force quit. This shouldn't be, should it?

Any help would be very much appreciated.
Re: just want to capture
August 25, 2005 08:53AM
By the way, I read the faq. I know that FCP has some trouble with timecode breaks and such. But when I hit a timecode break, the computer totally freezes. I can't rewind, fast foward, or anything - just the umbrella of doom.

I bought my Mac from apple, their Ram, their hard drives. I don't think it's the Mac itself.

Also, I have no anti-virus software running in the background (not hooked up to the internet) or any other programs running for that matter.

Once again, any help would be appreciated.
August 25, 2005 09:38AM
What's your capture device? Have you already dumped preferences and repaired permissions?

The best way around timecode breaks is really to log around them. Troubling at the first stage, but almost infallible. With this method, if you capture once successfully, you're very likely to be able to recapture successfully in subsequent attempts, for example during the online.
August 25, 2005 11:45AM
could be your tape... ive seen that happen before
August 25, 2005 11:17PM
Sorry, I couldn't reply till now, just got home.

Capture device is a Sony DSR-30, pretty nice deck.

I haven't dumped my preferences or repaired permission yet. I'll try it, but it dosn't seem like that would be it being that I've only had the system for about a month (not much time to screw up any preferences).

After closer investigation, I no longer think that the freezing is directly related to capturing, it's just slow - with a lot of tasks. I did find some things on the faq that I can try with that though.

I just tried capturing a little while ago and when it hit a time code break it didn't freeze, it just started rewinding. I expected this to happen, fairly normal. I can just log around the TC breaks.

Thanks for all the replies thus far. I'll try some of the suggestions on the faq to see if I can get my system running a bit faster.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics