offline-online conforming

Posted by Jeff 
offline-online conforming
August 28, 2005 04:56PM
I've been using FCP for some time, but always with DV source material. I now have to cut a documentary that was shot on Digi-Beta. The clients tells me he's had the footage transferred to DV w/window burns. My question is this.

Once I'm done with the off-line edit, how does my DV-based edit list enable us to re-create the edit in an online session using the D-Beta masters -- so that it's seamless, frame accurate, with all the info needed to re-create composites, FX, etc.

The D-Beta online will probably be done by me on my system, with a rented D-Beta deck (but might be done by someone else, somewhere else).

Also... is there anything I need to know (ie: settings, etc.,) during the offline DV editing process to make sure I end up where I need to be?

I'm working on FCP 4.5 on a dual 2.0 G5.

Thanks.
Anonymous User
Re: offline-online conforming
August 28, 2005 05:08PM
Well...this is something that's hit or miss with FCP, but read this for a start.

[www.kenstone.net]

its a bit dated but still applies

August 28, 2005 05:36PM
Jeff,

It would be wise NOT to expect this process to go flawlessly on autopilot!!!

There are significant issues with FCP when onlining any "speed changes" done in the off-line cut. Without knowing what your off-line looks like, it's hard to predict where the pitfalls will occur. But, be prepared. They WILL occur.

I know this is not what you wanted to hear, but be realistic about this process and plan for the worst. If you're not doing this yourself, make sure who ever is doing it knows what they're doing and wont just point back at you and say your off-line is screwed up.

Just so you're not totally freaked out... we are running five on-line rooms cranking out hours of final, upres, color corrected programming for all of the broadcast networks. It can be done, but you've got to know where the problems are and how to work around them.

Good luck.

mark
August 28, 2005 05:54PM
Thanks Mark. I won't worry about effects at the moment. I just want to know how the time code info from the DV tapes I use in my offline edit can be used to re-create the edit using D-Beta tapes with different time code. Of if that's even possible. Your reply made no mention of how you do it.

And the link Michael provided only relates to an offline/online process when using the same DV tapes (first captured at lo res, then full res). I'm starting with DV tapes, then recapturing/finishing with D-Beta.

Any advice?
August 28, 2005 07:20PM
One way to do this would be to use Media Manager to create an offline project at the new uncompressed resolution. Then begin capturing all your material again from DigiBeta. Or, you could simply duplicate your sequence, make it uncompressed, and then recapture all your video. Assuming both tapes are at the same frame rate (and properly dubbed,) it should all go mostly well, with some work.

Either way, you're going to have trouble with some speed changed clips. FCP5 supposedly solved this, but that hasn't ben my experience. Reverse speed changes seem to be the worst offender. Freeze frames came be problematic as well. You'll just have to recreate them manually.

<<the link Michael provided only relates to an offline/online process when using the same DV tapes (first captured at lo res, then full res)>>

The process should be basically the same. The key thing is that you're recapturing to a different codec.

Good luck.

- Justin Barham -
August 28, 2005 09:41PM
Your DV off-line tapes SHOULD have been made with matching timecode, both in the burned in window and on the timecode track. You need to confirm that this is the case. If so, then follow the media management steps mentioned above.

Essentially, you are redigitizing only the media referenced in the timeline, using the Digibetas as your new source material. That's the theory. The practice is a bit more complicated.

Mark
August 28, 2005 11:44PM
Well I hope that's the case. I'll find out Tuesday when the tapes arrive. I was just operating under the impression that because DigiBetas use NTSC code, and DV uses something different, that there was no such thing as an exact match. I'll be very happy to learn I was wrong.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics