when the levee breaks . . .

Posted by Kevin Carr 
when the levee breaks . . .
August 31, 2005 08:01AM
Cryin' won't help you, prayin' won't do you no good,
Now, cryin' won't help you, prayin' won't do you no good,
When the levee breaks, mama, you got to move.

- Jimmy Page / Led Zeppelin

I guess it's up to us to help all these poor folks in the Gulf Coast region. The silence from Europe and the rest of the world to offer us help of any kind is absolutely sickening.
As we sit here in front of our editors with an ice cold diet coke or whatever, thiking about buying new equipment, let's not forget those who would like nothing more than a drink of fresh water.

Kevin Carr
i was watching the today show this morning and they suggested best ways to help were to donate to red cross directly or to help specific cause areas you can find info at guidestar.org
Re: when the levee breaks . . .
August 31, 2005 11:45AM
Kevin, the song was written by Joe and Minnie McCoy (Memphis Minnie). Credit where credit's due.

Our hearts go out to Louisiana, London, Gaza Strip...this has been a troubled year for the whole world.
Anonymous User
August 31, 2005 12:28PM
Yesterday I put up a link on the fornt page of ladcpug directly to Red Cross. Use it

I don't know about other countries, but Canada as usual is sending hundreds of experience disaster relief Red Cross workers to assist. I don't know if it will be acknowledged by US media. This aid is not exceptional the US would do the same for us.

Dave
funny story - when the houston sports authority built the new reliant areana for the texans football team, the old statdium the astrodome once called the "8th wonder of the world" was left pretty much vacant while various plans have come and gone for uses for it.

today they are bussing 10,000+ refugees formerly stuck in the superdome in new orleans on the 5 hour trip here to houston to house them in the astrodome.

im hearing all over the talk radio shows of now effectively "homeless" large families that have fled here to houston having their restaurant tabs picked up by other patrons, of banks sending toys, clothes and food to hotels where thier clients are holed up. elderly women just showing up at hotels saying "im here to help, what can i do?"

kinda restores a little faith in the community
I was watching Fox News this morning about an hour or two ago (i'm in seattle) and the news helicopter was watching people on an overpass getting into the back of a budget rental truck to go somewhere i assume they were going to the stadium but i was watching and thinking WOW how miserable and desperate they must be to be literaly squeezing into the back of this truck they have been on this overpass for two days with very little water and food. Unless you are there it is IMPOSSIBLE to imagine what it is like there is literally no way to even fathom how the people sitting on roofs of buildings with very little food or water if they even have any at all. Some "predictions" i heard this morning was that they won't even get power for two months, and they can only pump an average of a foot of water out a day there are areas where the water is 20 or more feet high WOW 20 days. I also saw on fox news that "PATIENTS" from hospitals are in the stadium....... whoa how terrible it must be to be there this was described as the "worst natural disaster in american history" WOW!!!! in the last five years we have experianced the worst terrorist attack and the worst natural disaster in american history in "."."."5"."."." years!!!!! Hurricane season isn't even over let's pray that these people don't experiance any more hurricanes this year.

I found a picture on foxnews.com that i think is a powerfull picture

[www.foxnews.com]

One more thing it's nothing compared to what the people are going through and i might regret saying it but i'm not sure on the exact figure but a huge percentage of our oil comes from the gulf and alot of it is gone, and the gulf houses some very important ports that are important to our economy.

Thank you,

Sean

August 31, 2005 05:56PM
'The silence from Europe and the rest of the world to offer us help of any kind is absolutely sickening.'

Thats a bit unfair !
Anonymous User
August 31, 2005 06:07PM
Who said that Nick?

One thing I'm a bit perplexed about is the lack of online support from patrons such as Apple, Amazon and Ebay who less than 24 hours after the Thai Tsunami had buttons and links on their web sites appealing for donations. Not this time as far as I can see. Doesn't matter I guess, as SO many people and countries are pouring support into the Gulf Region.

It boggles the mind how much MORE financial support they need.

Hi.

Dear Kevin.

I'm from Europe, Portugal, and already have send my best to all of those who have been hit by Katrina. Post on 05-08-30.
Suffering and hanger tend to find someone to "drop the load" and has i mention in the post grab that bad energy and turn it into a rebuild force.
Portugal has been and it is hit now by wildfires and help from the US is none. But i can not and i should not blame the US goverment or the Americans. Also i never read any comment from you in this matter but still my heart is with the American people. My blood is as much red as yours.
The most powerfull nation on Earth was strike by Nature and no matter what political and religious reasons, a major part of us is with you. Is up to Mr. Bush to request any out-side help.

Rui.
Anonymous User
August 31, 2005 06:38PM
You bring up a good point Rui. I think all of us wish to respond to every disaster in the world in like kind. But...we can't. None of us can.

The US media hasn't covered the wildfires nearly as much as they covered the Tsunami in Thailand. I don't know why. Perhaps it takes thousands to die before we see it on the news. But then, the Sudan and other parts of Africa have'nt had as much coverage as it deserves either. How much coverage will the "stampede" that killed over 700 in Iraq get? Didn't see anything about it except in the newspaper.

Whether one likes it or not we are now a global community. We are all responsible for each others well being. Governments and people know this, it's just we don't seem to know how to deal with this concept.

And we all do hope you are well Rui and your beautiful country will somehow rebuild and thrive.

living just a few hours from N.O. im not seeing a lack of anything from anyone. all we are hearing about is pretty much everyone in arms reach opening their doors, wallets and hearts to pretty much anyone who needs it.

im moved to dismiss anyone who tries to politicize or nationalize the situation.
[One thing I'm a bit perplexed about is the lack of online support from patrons such as Apple, Amazon and Ebay who less than 24 hours after the Thai Tsunami had buttons and links on their web sites appealing for donations. Not this time as far as I can see. ]

Indeed, the Apple site was the first place I looked. No dice. Very odd omission.
Perhaps there are no Apple factories in the region? Apple PR on vacation? Could be any odd reason.

I went directly to the Red Cross site, but I'm glad we have a link here. They're going through varying degrees of outright nightmare down in N'Ollins.

[Doesn't matter I guess, as SO many people and countries are pouring support into the Gulf Region. ]

A LOT of mobilization underway; even carnival Lineis "thinking" about floating in one of their water cities for temp housing, a beautiful move, IMHO. And the media in general absolutely shining. Just like they should have been shining when we took an illegal left turn into Iraq!

Of course, NOTHING happens in August because Congress and president are out of town and killer weather is a great ratings rescue for the networks. And that's a very good thing for the suffering thousands in the Big Easy.

- Loren
Today's FCP 5 keytip:
Paste Overwrite- Command-V.
Paste INSERT- Shift- V!

The FCP 5 KeyGuide?: your power placemat.
Now available at KeyGuide Central
www.neotrondesign.com
come on loren, this is no place to be venting social or political editorial
You're right, of course. But every hurricane is political! ;-)

Is everybody getting their contributions in?

Gulltripguiltripguiltripguiltrip

- Loren
Today's FCP 5 keytip:
Paste Overwrite- Command-V.
Paste INSERT- Shift- V!

The FCP 5 KeyGuide?: your power placemat.
Now available at KeyGuide Central
www.neotrondesign.com
August 31, 2005 10:50PM
"...The silence from Europe and the rest of the world to offer us help of any kind is absolutely sickening."

Kevin Carr,

Do a little research before making such an ignorantly flippant statement. I don't know if they have cable TV, Satellite or the internet on the planet you are on at this moment, but you might want to log on and look something up. Help / concern / aid IS pouring in and being offered from our ALL OVER THE WORLD.

I also think you posting those lyrics is extremely ignorant & in poor taste.

Loren,

C'mon, man...no soapboxin' on this, OK? It's not political...it's human tragedy. I respect your opinions & help on the forum, but political soabboxing in the midst of a natural disaster is disgusting. The iraq comment...totally unnecessary and unrelated. Why do people feel they have to get political when there's a natural disaster???

- Joey

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

continued love joey - wG
Anonymous User
August 31, 2005 11:04PM
Guys...let it go. OK?

wise call mike, i'll shut up.

just trying to share some stories of good will
August 31, 2005 11:27PM
Whenever it gets to me, it's time to "let it go" }:-{

Sorry, Mike...ignorance is a pet peeve.

I'll shut up now grinning smiley

Peace smiling smiley

- Joey

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

September 01, 2005 02:55AM
Hi.

No matter wich opinion, everyone here wants to help and see the help going to those who needed.
I'm proud to be in this forum.

Rui
September 01, 2005 03:29AM
Disreguarding my other post i totally agree with rui we can all hope and pray that the people affected by the hurricane will get the help they need and that the death toll has been predicted to be way more than it really is wow i hope that sounds right

Sean

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics