Mp3 coversion

Posted by Lorie 
Mp3 coversion
September 03, 2005 01:20PM
Hello

I am working on FC3 on a G3 600mhz laptop, in OS 10.3. I have imported an mp3 onto my timeline and my problem is that each time i move the music I have to rerender. Any ideas on how to just permanantly lay ithe music?

thank you,
lorie
vancouver
Re: Mp3 coversion
September 03, 2005 01:35PM
Assuming you have iTunes use itunes to convert it to an AIFF FCP doesn't like mp3

Good Luck,

Sean

September 03, 2005 02:18PM
Lorie,

I assume you're working in a DV sequence; DV requires 48kHz 16-bit audio and MP3 is a compressed format with not nearly enough quality. The easiest thing to do is open your MP3 in iTunes then change your IMPORT settings (in the Prefs) to AIFF encoder and under CUSTOM select 48kHz, 16-bit stereo. Select the MP3 then under ADVANCED you'll find a CONVERT TO AIFF command. Import your new AIFF file into FCP and replace the MP3 on the timeline and your rendering woes are gone.

Also, if your MP3 was taken off a CD then I suggest you start over and rip that track as an AIFF from the CD so you start with the highest quality. The MP3 you have is already compressed, and the upsampling to AIFF will not improve that.
September 03, 2005 02:45PM
Hello John:

thanks so much,,,,but a very basic question, How do you "open" an MP3?
Feeling like a Luddite

Lorie
September 03, 2005 04:06PM
Drag it into either a Playlist or the Library in iTunes, or simply double-click on it. iTunes is the default application selected for opening MP3 files, unless you changed it.
September 03, 2005 05:53PM
Easy way for me is to open mp3 in QuickTime and export .aiff to project folder.
48000 kHz 16 bit (set in QT by default).

Jupi
September 03, 2005 05:58PM
Yes, QuickTime Player can do it, but iTunes can do a batch at the same time, kind of like a Batch Export in FCP. Much, much faster.
September 04, 2005 07:26AM
Don't you supppose iTunes uses Quicktime conversion anyway? Hell, ever thing Apple makes is based on Quicktime.
September 05, 2005 05:20AM
It's the same either way. Totally your preference. iTunes has the batch going for it is all...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics