Unexpectedly quitting - Iv'e searched the forum

Posted by Mr. Malcolm 
Unexpectedly quitting - Iv'e searched the forum
September 04, 2005 10:35PM
Okay, no matter what, every time I start a long render (estimated time 2 hr.) I come back to find that the application has unexpectedly quit.

Iv'e searched the forum, and it seems that alot of people are trashing thier preferences. So, I found this:

1. Quite FCP.
2. Open your Hard Drive.
3. Set to Column View.
4. Follow the path: Users > Name > Library > Preferences.
5. In the Preferences Pane look for "com.apple.FinalCutPro.plist", shown below in Yellow. Drag the FCP plist to the Trash.
6. In the same Preference Pane, look for the Final cut Pro User Data Folder.
7. For FCP 3, drag both "Final Cut Pro 3 Preferences" and "Final Cut Pro MOA Cache", shown below in Green, to the Trash.
8. For FCP 4, drag both "Final Cut Pro 4 Preferences" and "Final Cut Pro POA Cache", shown below in Red, to the Trash.
9. Do NOT empty the Trash.
10. Launch FCP and check all your settings. All FCP setting will have reverted to default. Don't forget to reset your Scratch Disk settings.
11. Once FCP is up and running, empty the Trash.

Now, this is all great and dandy, but it only mentions the steps for FCP 3 and 4, I've got 5.

Is there a slight variation?

I know this must be pretty common queston on these boards for thoase of you who've been around for awhile, but please have mercy on a poor new Mac user. I just want to fix this.

And yes, I could render small chunks at a time, which is what I'm doing right now; but that is obviously not the prefered way.

By the way, if you ahve any other insights into what could be wrong with my Mac, please post.

System: G5, dual 2.7, two 400GB drives, FCP 5. Bought straight from apple.

"A man that does not reply to his own thread after receiving help truly sucketh."
Re: Unexpectedly quitting - Iv'e searched the forum
September 04, 2005 10:36PM
P.S sorry for the long post.

"A man that does not reply to his own thread after receiving help truly sucketh."
September 04, 2005 10:52PM
If you go to those locations and the files are there, then trash them and the result will be clean preferences. I don't have FCP 5 installed but there's really no reason that any of this would have changed - its more OS related.
September 04, 2005 11:30PM
Alright, thanks. Just wanted to make sure. I'm a little bit cautious when it comes to deleting files, Iv'e been burned = ^D

September 05, 2005 09:21AM
Check out MacRescue for doing that task. The latest version works with FCP 5.
September 05, 2005 12:24PM
Unexpectedly quitting during a render doesn't indicate prefs at all. You've got a bad media file. Might be impossible to locate but it will be most likely be one of the files that is getting worked on when the application crashes.

bogiesan
September 05, 2005 12:25PM
BTW: I have not trashed my FCP prefs a single time since FCP3.5. Not ever. Not in an attempt to cure anything and not during any upgrades.

bogiesan
September 05, 2005 12:40PM
Hmmm... Good point. I think you may be right. Lately, when I open FCP it says that there are 18 media files offline, but I can't figure out which ones they are. In the reconect window, there is nothing there.

Nothing in my timeline appears to be offline.

Any ideas?

September 05, 2005 01:11PM
> Unexpectedly quitting during a render doesn't indicate prefs at all.

I beg to differ there. I've seen those cases, though I will also add that unexpected quits *tend* not to be the fault of preferences. It does happen. More often, though, it's a result of low system resources or corrupt files (project *or* media).

> when I open FCP it says that there are 18 media files offline, but I can't figure
> out which ones they are. In the reconnect window, there is nothing there.

I suppose you've already checked your Browser? Also, are they render files?

Since you're using FCP5, keep in mind that FCP5's Reconnect Media dialog box has changed drastically. One of the nastier changes made to this version, in my view, making the process more laborious and confusing. You now have to actually select which files to reconnect before the process begins.
September 05, 2005 04:52PM
hey, thanks for all advice. I'll just delete the pref files to be safe. I mean, it can't hurt.

Could they be render files? possibly. I'm wrapping this project up and about to start a new one.

I'll keep searching for any corrupted files, but I'm about to start a new project. If I don't get any unexpected quits on this one, I'll assume that the other project had a corrupt file.

It's pretty liekly, we were importing tons of files from PS and motion.

Thanks again.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics