drop frames also

Posted by Greg 
drop frames also
September 07, 2005 07:46PM
I have been working o a project for more than a week, i have capture more than a feww hours.

Ive been capturing all day and all of the sudden iget the drop frame when capture. i quit my fcp hd going to eat something

please help....

g4 dual 1gig silverbullet
shot on mini dv
dsr 11 deck tru fw
386 gig left on my lacie 500 and a 120 7200rpm
usually never drops frames when capturing.
brown hair...sorry got carry away....
Re: drop frames also
September 07, 2005 08:15PM
Could be the tape itself. Try capturing one clip while turning off the "Abort Capture upon Dropped Frames" feature. If you can't see a problem, chances are it doesn't matter. If you see a perceptible glitch in the picture, then capture to an internal drive.
September 07, 2005 08:58PM
i actually try with another tape and it drop to and in diferent parts of the tape.

i will try to an internal

thks
September 07, 2005 09:40PM
Your capture drive might be getting full. You need to leave 10% free. So 20 G free if you are using a 200 gig drive.
Greg Kozikowski
September 08, 2005 12:54AM

<<<Your capture drive might be getting full. >>>

What he said.

If you didn't change anything else and "suddenly it stopped capturing," you almost certianly ran out of room.

Running out of room can be slippery. If you're on a firewire drive "running out of room" can happen at the half-way point depending on the quality of the drive and a lot of other circumstances.

Capturing live video to an external FireWire drive is not always recommended. The best way is to capture to an internal drive and then move the work over to a FireWire for eding and production. You can also put a FireWire drive onto a add-on FireWire card or a PC-Card and that works well, too.

Using both of the computer's FireWire ports at the same time can be hazardous.

Koz
September 08, 2005 01:57AM
> Using both of the computer's FireWire ports at the same time can be
> hazardous.

Here's where I always add to Koz' post by saying both the FireWire 400 ports on my computer tend to be in use at the same time (one for an external FireWire drive, usually Promax brand, and one for my DSR-11 DVCam deck) and I very, very rarely have problems. But just because I don't have problems doesn't mean nobody else would. Try the internal drive -- if it doesn't solve the problem, at least you've narrowed down the variables.

You mentioned you had "386 gig left on a lacie 500 and a 120 7200rpm". Are you sure you still have that much storage? And are you actually capturing to these locations? Scratch Disks can often get changed without you noticing, especially if you don't have a habit of checking the setting before every capture, as you should. Dumping preferences would also flush your Scratch Disk setting to default back to (usually) Macintosh HD - [Username] - Documents - Final Cut Pro Documents.

And to complete the storage check, check your system drive, plus all drives connected to the computer. Even if you're not capturing to them, the consensus in here is that any drive hooked up to the computer, internal or external, should have at least 10 per cent free space respectively.
Greg Kozikowski
September 08, 2005 03:42PM

<<<Even if you're not capturing to them, the consensus in here is that any drive hooked up to the computer, internal or external, should have at least 10 per cent free space respectively.>>>

OSX/UNIX has this nasty habit of wanting to "manage" all of its resources whether or not they're being used for the immediate job. UNIX doesn't "know" what a disk drive is. Everything is memory to UNIX and it sees nothing wrong in shifting work from one place to another as it sees fit. If one of those places happens to be slow because of being too full, it affects the whole machine.

That's also what makes "Delete" so much fun in UNIX land. Once you delete something in OSX, it is, for all practical purposes gone for good. The unused drive space goes back into rotation and gets written over very quickly--unlike DOS and Windows where it hangs around for a while.

Koz
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics