Film Set Up?

Posted by jellis22 
Film Set Up?
September 09, 2005 12:55PM
I've been searching around for a definite answer on how to setup FCP 5 to edit a short film shot on 16 mm. We're going to finish on HD, but we would also like the option to cut the negative if it were ever needed. Right now we have telecine logs and DVCAM tapes (29.97) that need to be captured. Can anyone tell me if this sounds right.

1.Import ale file into Cinema Tools with the default settings...
Film Standard - 16mm @ 20
Video TC Rate - 30 NDF
Audio TC Rate - 30 NDF
TK Speed - 24

2. Export a Batch Capture for Final Cut Pro.

3. In FCP, import Batch List @ 29.97 and digitize material

4. Back in Cinema Tools, select Batch Reverse Telecine. After this process I get a window that warns I have changed the selected clips start point, end point, and rate. Is this correct?

5. After reconnecting the media in FCP, I can then get to work synching dailies.

This is the process I've been trying to make work, but my lists never seem to get into Final Cut Pro correctly...even before I do the reverse telecine. Is there a way to import ale or flx files directly in FCP just to check that the TC is right? I've been reading the manuals and forums regarding 23.98 frame rates. Do I need to work at that rate instead of 24. Sorry I have so many questions, which, I'm guessing have been asked before. Somewhere along the lines, my numbers are getting changed and I would appreciate any advice or leads on project setup/settings.

Jesse
Re: Film Set Up?
September 10, 2005 12:21AM
This all sounds good, but yes, don't go to straight 24fps, but rather to 23.98fps. If your footage was telecined to HD, that is the frame rate.

And FCP cannot read the ALE file...thus the reason for the existance of Cinema Tools.

THis all sounds right...What is happening to your numbers? Where are thry going off? right from the start?
PfA
September 11, 2005 05:45AM
FCP 5 can now import/export Telecine logs. In fact, most of what used to be done in Cinema Tools can now be done directly in FCP. You still need Cinema Tools to manage the database. There is a synchronize to CT database command in FCP5 too.

Hope that helps...

Paul from Apple
September 11, 2005 03:29PM
Thanks for the info about the frame rate and import/export feature. After looking over the telecine logs for awhile I decided something must be wrong in the actual ALE files. I took them back to the post house and turns out that they had logged the 24 frame info from the HD masters instead of the 29.97 TC for the DVCAMs that we're working from. Got it fixed and it seems to be working now.

Thanks again,

Jesse
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics