New MAC for Final Cut HD DVCPro100

Posted by Kevin O'Brien 
New MAC for Final Cut HD DVCPro100
September 16, 2005 09:26AM
I am Director of PHotography and a longtime (1984) MAC user and use Final Cut 3 (OK sorry!) to cut reels on DV.
I recently bought a Varicam and would like to be able to edit DVCPro100 for personal and other small projects. I will probably get a G5 and KonaLH so I can input from my camera via HDSDI.
I would like advise on G5 configuration suitable to this use.
I'm thinking of a refurb G5 2.0-I undestand needs a pci-x slot to use Kona.
Also would like to know if any Powerbooks can reasonably edit DVCPro100.
Will Final Cut 5 run on a Powerbook? Ideally would like to input on G5 and be able to do some cutting on a Powerbook while travelling. Worst case can edit downconverts on the laptop.
Don't need to cut large amounts of material.
Looking for input before I replace my aging Powerbook 667 or throw money at a G5.
Thanks in advance for help from those who make my work look good-Editors.
Kevin O'Brien

Re: New MAC for Final Cut HD DVCPro100
September 16, 2005 09:57AM
I am editing (will be editing) a project shot 720p24 with the Varicam. This is what I have:

Dual 2.0 G5 (PCI-X - you are right, you need the PCI-X)
+2GB RAM
Dell 2405 24" HD display (Look for a coupon for this. They are on sale now for $899 shipped)
(2) G-Raid 500GB FW 800 drives. Great for DVCPRO HD and uncompressed formats.

You do not need the Kona LH card. DVCPRO HD can be captured, and is best captured, via firewire. And throw money at the G5. Your powerbook is not up to this task. Expecially since you should be using FW 800 drives or External SATA.

You can read all about my venture into DVCPRO HD on my HD Blog:

[homepage.mac.com]
September 16, 2005 06:01PM
shane, have you been able to edit uncompressed HD on your g-raid? or are you just talking uncompressed SD?
September 16, 2005 09:17PM
I haven't tried yet. I don't think I would tackle uncompressed HD without AT LEAST a SATA Raid. I would much prefer a fibrechannel Raid Array.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics