Panther Ram Limitations with FCP 5

Posted by chrisatcali 
Panther Ram Limitations with FCP 5
September 16, 2005 02:27PM
I am running FCP 5 on panther. I called Apple for some hardware problems, and they said that FCP running on panther does not have access to more than 2 gigs of ram. Is this true? Does panther only see 2 gigs of ram...well, I know it sees it, but according to the tech people at apple, it doesnt use more than 2 gigs regardless if you have it in the comp or not. Has anyone heard of this ram limitation with panther? Also...anyone else requiring a huge amount of time to render a 80 min HD feature in FCP? Im am rendering one here and its taking a week to render. Should it be that slow on a dual 2.5 G5....and if I upgrade the ram to more then 2 gigs will it help at all?
Anonymous User
Re: Panther Ram Limitations with FCP 5
September 16, 2005 04:09PM
If I recall FCP doesn't see more than 2 gigs if you have say, 4 gigs or real ram. Limitation is 4 gigs if you have, say 8 gigs. Maybe wrong here. Maybe I'm thinking of Tiger. In any event more Ram isn't going to make rendering faster, a faster CPU will and a high end graphics card will help in certain tasks.

What type HD you rendering here?

mike

September 17, 2005 12:51PM
Michael,
Are you saying under the best of it, either or just one of the OS's can only see 4 gigs of ram.

a 2.5 dual, 64bit machine capable of installing 8 gigs ram and running the lastest version of FC (5), which was released about a year after Apples highest-end machines can't utilize all the Ram?

If that's so what's up with Apple only bells & whistles and the H__L with performance?

Post Edited (09-17-05 10:52)
Anonymous User
September 17, 2005 01:00PM
I'm saying I'm guessing. I am sure there is a K-base article on this over at Apple support, and I can't follow your last sentence.

September 17, 2005 03:55PM
Hey thanks guys for the input. I am capturing 10 bit HD from a 90 grand sony deck, into the HDTV codec with Uncompressed 10 bit being my render settings. The reson why I wrote this is because when I was on the phone with a apple person regarding motion problems, he said if I have more than 2 gigs installed in a panther system, it will not see it, tiger will, but panther wont. Make sense? Anyone heard of anything like that?
September 17, 2005 04:20PM
Michael,

If that's so, what's up with Apple, only bells & whistles and the Heck with performance?

Hows that?
A.F.
September 17, 2005 04:31PM
Chrisatcali,
Well consider the source .... my experience from Apple regarding most issues, is "Get Tiger".

Now I just had apple replace a problematic HD for me. They didn't hesitate, which was great. I asked them for a replacement with no OS on it as that drive was used with OS 10.3.5 for FCPHD 4.5.
I use a different drive for FCP 5 with 10.3.9 installed.

When I received the drive from Apple low and behold "Tiger" was installed on the drive, a $120ish.00 bonas that I would have been greatful for if I wanted it.
Needless to say, wammo I zero'd out and re-formated.

I guess what I'm saying is, I'm not sure if "Tiger" does (fixes) all as Apple people claim, after all it's not a 64bit OS and why not?

Just my thoughts
Anonymous User
September 17, 2005 05:19PM
I'm sorry, I cant understand you Spaceman and havent a clue what you are talking about.

September 17, 2005 05:34PM
Just rambling about not able to use more then 4 gig's of ram.

8 Installable only 4 useable.
Anonymous User
September 17, 2005 05:52PM
Motion and other apps will see all of it though. Just not FCP. Doesnt really matter since Ram doesnt play much of a role with Final Cut

Mike

September 17, 2005 06:01PM
Either 10.3.9 or 10.4+ or both?
Anonymous User
September 17, 2005 06:09PM
Like I said, I'm guessing but I think FCP sees more (4 gigs tops) in Tiger, but doesnt really mean much. Performance in Panther and Tiger are same for FCP. You want all the ram you can afford and a good graphics card to throw at Motion.

September 17, 2005 06:12PM
Thanks.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics