the key to Keyboards

Posted by Frank Meek 
the key to Keyboards
September 24, 2005 02:24PM
I know this seems a goofy question from someone who has edited as long as I, but I am wondering (from those gurus on this very helpful forum) what keyboard is that which is the most efficient FCP tool. I see hardware discussed in its most vital and excrutiating detail, but rarely a mention of the one tool which tranlates all of the power and creativity...the keyboard. Any thoughts on new or old technologies, what works and what's hype?

Re: the key to Keyboards
September 24, 2005 03:09PM
frank,

We bought the Logickey custom keycaps keyboards for all of our FCP systems.

[www.logickeyboard.com]

I think they're around $120 bucks for a whole keyboard, and $65 just for the keys. If you're doing just one, you may want to just get the caps. This is the same keyboard that the G5 ships with, it just has the colored caps on it. I'm happy with it.

If you're looking at more than a few, save yourself the hassle and get a whole new board. That way, you've got some spare boards when the coffe get spilled on the keys.

mark
September 24, 2005 07:51PM
I just memorize the keys.

It won't take long, you'll never rely on color coded buttons, and your clients will look on you in awe as you wiz around your labeless keyboard with ease.

"A man that does not reply to his own thread after receiving help truly sucketh."
September 25, 2005 12:40AM
im with malcolm. i've never seen what's so difficult about just learning the keys...
September 25, 2005 09:34AM
Same here. I used a coloured keyboard to start learning some of the shortcuts (especially for switching tools) for a music video, but then I've stuck with the apple keyboard and never looked back. Still, I'd say my "Shortcut Key Journey" really started with one of those colour-coded keyboards, and in the long run it probably sped me up by about 400 per cent. The current producer I'm working with was pretty impressed when I flew around adjusting sound with the OPTION-APPLE-L function.

Still, why can't they make those things more ergonomic? And the fact that so many of those keyboards don't have the little button on the J and F keys is inexcusable.
September 25, 2005 05:28PM
see this smiling smiley))

[www.artlebedev.com]

Jupi
September 25, 2005 05:56PM
that IS the SEXIEST thing ive ever seen! - bet its hell to type on though...
September 26, 2005 11:41AM
I wonder how "smart" it will be. If you are in photoshop and you activate the text tool, will the keyboard change to text?

Seems like a great idea.. or at least a cool toy to have!

Speaking of cool toys, any one else out there enjoying their mighty mouse as much as me? I know its got its flaws (I keep right clicking by accident!) but its a fun little toy!
September 26, 2005 03:32PM
Rick, I don't know if yoiu think you're being facetious with your "adaptable" PS keyboard idea, but it's not so far-fetched. There is such a thing, all it needs is programming. Look here [www.artlebedev.com].

Scorr

September 26, 2005 03:36PM
Colored keyboards are really only for one person: the client. It makes your system look a little more "pro".

If you need a colored keyboard to get your job done, then you are not hardcore enough. You should type by touch, never looking down, hitting all the keyboard shortcuts from memory. If you are not doing that, strive to do that.

Kevin Monahan
September 26, 2005 03:50PM
i always thought that the colored keys looked like someone spilled skittles on your desk.

but that optimus thing with the OLED's is probably the most useless gadgety thing ive every REALLY WATED BADLY - wonder if the keys will lite up when you touch them? handy for an "FCP preformance artist"! hahahahaha
September 26, 2005 04:00PM
I'm with Malcolm and Wayne and one further......remap the keyboard and THEN memorize....I set mine up as similar to the PDR online bays at work that use the old Grass Valley interface keyboards.....use the same on the Avids.

Cam
September 26, 2005 04:13PM
I'd advocate never remapping the keyboard for the main shortcuts. Get used to the default shortcut combinations and burn them into muscle memory. Some shortcuts don't exist and you have to customize, but I can't tell you how convenient it is to be able to switch from station to station and use the standard shortcuts, never having to remember which shortcuts I have to reset.
Anonymous User
September 26, 2005 04:38PM
Oh, Kevin!!

I like the colored-key keyboards because I bounce between Avid and FCP on a pretty regular basis...helps me keep my head in the right piece of software!

I have the MacAlly FCP keyboard on my system, and my clients with Avids have different models of Avid-customized keyboards.

It a very visual cue and really does cut down on the mis-strokes!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics